cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFSR Incremental Backup not backing up changed files

RickyRicardo
Level 2

I noticed our Incremental backup of our DFSR, on our NAS drive, stopped backing up files.

Our setup is that our main data servers robocopy to our DFSR shares on our NAS drives, the DFSR then replicates data between our other sites NAS drives.

The full backup works fine.

The incremental backups the folder structure but no files.

I added a file manually into the DFSR share (not by robocopy) and then run an incremental and that file is backed up.

The backup job uses  Backup Method for files: By modified Time

Snapshot provider is set to Automatic - Alllow VSS to select the snapshot provider.

Is the problem being caused by RoboCopy, and if so, why did it work in the past?

To test the robocopy script I robocopied with a different script, and this seems to have worked:
Switches that used that worked /e /z /sec
Switches on script that doesn't seem to work: /COPYALL /B /SEC /E /R:0 /W:0

Is there a log file that might give me a clue to why it's not working.

Any help anyone can offer would be gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for you input. 

It all seems to be working again without having to change the scripts. On Tuesday I did install an agent update on the server and a did a restart. I then did some more updates yesterday, with a restart.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

Yes, you can use SGMon for debugging. Give it a try:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO11932

You should only need the first item checked "Job Engine, RAWS, Agent Browser" Save to a file and you can watch the debug live.

Thanks for that I will try it tomorrow.

I thought it may be the \CopyAll switch, but on testing didn't seem to make any difference. There must be something the /b switch does to change the file properties.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up directly using the share on the NAS or using the Shadow Copy Components (via the remote agent) on one of the Windows servers that is responsible DFSR?

Bascially we do not support incremental backups over shares (there is the odd environment where it might work but that does not make it supported)

Colin

We are backing up via the Shadow Copy Components via an agent.

As mentioned the incremental works if I use a robopy script which does not have a /b switch. I haven't had time to look into it today, but I was wondering what Backup Exec uses to determine the modified time date. As the files copied over seem to have the correct time.

We are running Backup Exec 15 with all updates installed.

Someone else set up the RoboCopy jobs, and if it comes down it I will edit them as I can not see any advantage of using the /b switch over /e /purge.

Thanks for you input. 

It all seems to be working again without having to change the scripts. On Tuesday I did install an agent update on the server and a did a restart. I then did some more updates yesterday, with a restart.