Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM causing backups to fail "loading media"

John_Beeson_CPL
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

We have Backup Exec 2014 SP1 installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2 and using a Buffallo Terastation as disk storage (1GB switch connection) between server and NAS.

I know the DLM runs several times a day and I don't think you configure it to start at a certain time (magic start time!)

We are finding that when a full SDR backup is run, sometimes the DLM kicks in and causes Backup Exec to error and drop it's connection to the NAS and leaves the job with a "loading media" state.  Or it's just coincidence that it happens but we saw it a few times with BESX 2012.  The only work around I've found is to chop the into small jobs with flat file, GRT (exchange) and system state and working around the times when the DLM process runs.  Either our server does not have enough "horse power" 16 GB RAM should be enough.  We want to achieve a full SDR backup at least once a week.  

We've got servers with 2012 R2 and they have been running fine with no issues.  I know that BESX2012 really shows down on system states on 2008 R2 servers.

If you have any thoughts and suggestions we would like to hear them.

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

This will need log review when your backups are running and why its causing the jobs to go into a loading media state. does it finally come out of it and job completes ? Please open a support case to further look into this

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you sure the trigger is DLM as in the past we had an issue like this when the BE Database was performing aintenance (at 04:00 by default)

Other than this Gurvinder is correct we will need more analysis to confirm why your NAS drive is going offline.

BTW the DLM 4 hour cycle is based on Servcie Start time which means you can sort of affect when it runs. It is also possible to change the 4 hour interval, although maybe you should be working with support for us to identify the cause before we start changing that.

smacc2014
Not applicable

What was the resolution to this?  I have the same configuration and some of my jobs stop and sit at loading media until the job length expires.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.