cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM is not physically clearing out USB HDD

OJanicki
Level 3

Good morning,

I am running Backup Exec 15.  I've noticed for the last few days that DLM is successfully removing the expired backup sets from the database, but it is not reclaiming the physical space on the disk.  It did do this at one point.  I need to manually erase all the .bkf files in the BEData folder or else the backup will run out of space and fail.

One item of note is that I have been using a BEMCLI script to force the DLM interval to one minute to ensure that DLM always has a chance to run before the backup takes place, and it was working flawlessly clearing the sets through DLM and reclaiming the space on the disk.  The script does this:

1.  Grabs the value from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Server, CheckReclaimSpaceIntervalMinutes

2. Stores current value in variable to restore later.
3. Sets value to 1.
4. Restarts the Backup Exec services.
5. Waits 2 minutes for DLM to run and reclaim space.
6. Restores original value of key.
7. Restarts the Backup Exec services again.

I welcome any thoughts in how to troubleshoot this further.

Thanks,

Oscar

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure you're fully patched by running Liveupdate to see if there any any available patches. if so, install them and then check again.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am kind of wondering if you are having a problem because 1 minute is to short to process eveything and therefore after 1 minute the process restarts without completing all the actions.

Note this is a guess and not something that has already been seen by support.

OJanicki
Level 3

Thanks for your replies!  I did double-check LiveUpdate and I am up to date.

Colin,

It has been working with a one minute timeframe from what I've seen, but your point is valid.  I will change the script to wait 10 minutes and see if that solves it.