cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO Tape Out for longer retention period

Jack_van_Gorkum
Level 3

We are evaluating DLO for a large multi-site deployment. We have a long retention period (18 months) for desktop/laptop backups, and are concerned about the sizing of the storage which is required. An idea we are thinking of is to perform a backup of the DLO file server(s) using NetBackup Enterprise on a monthly basis, and keeping the retention period of backups on the DLO file servers down to 30 - 45 days.

This would work great for a Disaster Recovery, since we can then restore the entire DLO File Server locally or remotely, as required, from tape.

However, as an example, what if we need to restore a single file from a desktop backup from 6 months ago. How do we get the data from tape (which is a full backup of the DLO file servers) onto the file server for that single file restore ? Do w need to restore the ENTIRE DLO File Server, or can we just restore single files or folders.

We are considering setting up a DLO File Server for restores only. Is it possible to just restore the folder containing the user's name on the DLO File server only, and then restore that file from the Restore DLO File Server ?

I've been searching the forums and sites, but cannot find any white papers or forums specific to DLO. I do find some, but they are so old, they still reference Veritas as the company name instead of Symantec. Any pointers to good forums for DLO only would be appreciated,

Cheers, Jack...

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have moved this to the NBU forum since you are using the product, rather than BE.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Chris from Symantec has referred the OP to BE forum!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/dlo-tape-out-longer-retention-period#comment-6910701

Jack_van_Gorkum
Level 3

Hi again,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I am confused. I figured that since the product was called NetBackup DLO, I should post it on the NBU forum. At someones suggestion from Symantec, I then posted it in the BE forum, but now I see it has been moved back to the NBU forum. :)

I have some follow on questions based on the answer. My next question has to do more specifically with a similar type of recovery using either the NBUP 5020 storage appliance, or NBUP 5220 NetBackup appliance.

My Symantec SE just returned from vacation, so I will ask him as well.

Can someone clarify where I should be posting DLO product specific questions ?

Cheers, Jack...

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Jack,

I'm going to move this thread back to the BE forum as your original question was about DLO, which is now a BE product.  (If you were to open a DLO case, you would work with a BE TSE.  "Desktop and Laptop Option" now falls under BE as well.)

I am hopeful the thread will not be moved back to the NetBackup forum. :)

As for your Appliance questions, you're going to hate this answer, but...you should probably start a separate thread in the NetBackup Appliances forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/netbackup-appliances

Ultimately your SE might be your best guide, however.

Good luck!!