cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO administration service failed to start because application configuration is incorrect.

JukkaM
Level 3
Partner

After one year of perfect working, the DLO administrator service stopped for good. Workstations DLO clients are also not working.

I have removed all Backup Exec software and SQL 2005 and re-installed the software and all latest updates. Version is 11d SP3 11.0.7170 (32-bit) with hotfix 47 and 48. Server is Windows 2003 Server standard with SP2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JukkaM
Level 3
Partner

Well, after few weeks of banging my head to the wall, I found out that the problem occured in Microsoft C++ 2005. I simply downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) 8.0.50727 and the DLO Administration service was back online! Case closed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee

What is the error that you are getting in event logs? Are the DLO service packs and hotfixes (47 / 48) the latest for 11d or are new hotfixes available? You may want to check.

JukkaM
Level 3
Partner

All updates from Liveupdate has been installed. Here are the errors that I think is related to this problem:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7000
Date:        12.9.2008
Time:        15:33:01
User:        N/A
Computer:    PALVELIN2
Description: The Backup Exec DLO Administration Service service failed to start due to the following error:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID: 59
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    SideBySide
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    59
Date:        12.9.2008
Time:        15:33:01
User:        N/A
Computer:    PALVELIN2
Description: Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\DLO\DLOAdminSvcu.exe. Reference error message: Manifest Parse Error : XML document must have a top level element.

(don't know if these are related to the problem...)

Event ID:    59
Description:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFC. Reference error message: Manifest Parse Error : XML document must have a top level element.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event ID:    58
Description:
Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\policies\x86_Policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_0F75C32E\8.0.50727.762.policy" on line 0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DLO Database Information on \\PALVELIN2:

Database Server:                      PALVELIN2
Database Instance:                    PALVELIN2\BKUPEXEC
Database Name:                        BE_DLO
Database Size:                        6.88 MB
Server Schema Version:                2.0000
Minimum Client Compatibility Version: 1.1
Maximum Client Compatibility Version: 3.1
SQL Server Login Mode:                Windows NT
SQL Server Audit Level:               failure
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NPD
Level 3
I had a similar issue with the DLO admin service but a different error.  After 4 months of an open support case with symantec (281-355-397) an "Advanced" DBA concluded that my DB was corrupt after a recent server migration and that the only option was to dump the DB and the 7 TB of encrypted backup data across our 18 offices.  Obviously this was NOT an option.  Determinted to fix the probelm and conviced that this was something simple (and that DLO support sucks!) I found the issue and fixed it on my own.  It turns out that the new installation on my new server displayed the new DB files as be_dlo.mdf and the old server DB files were in caps, BE_DLO.mdf  When I migrated the DB the proper case in the file name did not carry over.  I changed the case to caps and POOF, the admin service started.  Might not be related to your problem, but I wish you the best of luck if you're calling for support!!

JukkaM
Level 3
Partner
Case was caps. I changed it to normal, tested and back to caps, tested, but no change. I also changed name to BR_DLO2.mdf, tried it and got the same error, so I think that error happens before the programs starts connecting the database... Weird.

JukkaM
Level 3
Partner

Well, after few weeks of banging my head to the wall, I found out that the problem occured in Microsoft C++ 2005. I simply downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) 8.0.50727 and the DLO Administration service was back online! Case closed.