Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.DR Concept and it's imp

Nightbird_143
Level 3

Hi,

i m new to BE2012 with TS2900 ,

Present  i m able to take Daily Full Backup of my server to particular tape cartdge using partation  from Mondya to Sunday 

with lil good luck we are on safe side that we does not require to resote full server.

so not having experice in restoration using Symantec SDR DVD.

need details about .dr file and it's impotance .....

Present we have copyed  from it's default location to c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\sdr\Data\

To another machine as backup 

As much i know we need this file for restore purpose so we have that file on another machine/pendrive 

Also i have total 8 job thus are from monday to sunday and 1 for month 

and .dr file is single , will it be ok or i have to copied daily bais a dr file

4 REPLIES 4

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Every backup set has a .dr file related to it. From Symantec Backup Exec settings you can choose a different path to save the secondary copy of the .dr file (preferably to a different server other than the media server). The .dr file is kept within a backup set. To restore the BE Media Server using SDR, you will need the .dr file point to the backup set, which is updated every time SDR is updated. 

Here is a sep by step guide for using SDR with BE 2012 : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180099

Nightbird_143
Level 3

so u mean i have copy .dr file on daily basis 

there are multiple job with same setting ?

or should i kept one dr file and that will allow me to restore my server from any backup set ?

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

You need the latest copy of the .DR file to perform SDR

When you run the backup the .DR file gets automatically updated

Instead of backing it up seperately, set an alternate location for the .DR file (disaster recovery information file), so that every time a backup completes, the file in the alternate location also updates itself.

This option is available under Configurations and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Simplified Disaster Recovery > Alternate Path in the BE 2012 console

Here is more information on setting up an alternate location for a .DR file :

Symantec recommends that you specify an alternate or additional location for the disaster recovery information files that Backup Exec automatically creates. These files contain computer-specific information for each computer that you protect with Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR). When you recover a Backup Exec server from a disaster, you must have the Backup Exec server's disaster recovery information file available. Without it, you cannot run SDR to recover the Backup Exec server. Therefore, the alternate location should be on a different computer than the Backup Exec server whenever possible. If the Backup Exec server's hard drive is damaged, you can access a copy of the disaster recovery information from the alternate location.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Each .Dr file is named after the server, e.g. server1.dr. After each successful backup, a new .dr file is generated which will point to this latest backup set. For example, after a successful Tuesday backup,the .dr file in the SDR storage locations will point to the Tuesday backup set. If you did not save this .dr file then after a successful Wednesday backup, you would not be able to do a SDR restore from the Tuesday backup set because the .dr file would be pointing to the Wednesday backup set