cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Test - Server 2003 DC - BE11d

MB1980
Level 2

Hi all,

I'm currently carrying out a DR test of some of our servers. The 1st server is our main DC, which is also a file server. We're using BE 11d.

These are the instructions I followed

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/performing-a-local-disaster-recovery-with-11d/

I've built another server with identical hw, partitioned the drives, installed Server 2003 with SP2, then installed BE11d and restored the C, E partitions along with the Shadow components and System State from tape. The option I changed within BE for the restore over existing files, as mentioned in the link above.

At completion of the restore a load of popups appeared mentioning SP2 files couldn't be found where expected. I installed SP2 again (which I did during the initial build of the DR server), rebooted and now the server won't progress past the Server 2003 splash screen... just keeps on rebooting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls follow this KB instead ~ http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10797

MB1980
Level 2

Thanks for the post. I've followed it as written and unfortunately I still have the same issue. 

At the end of the restore a host of popups appear:

'Windows File Protection

Files that are recognised for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original files of these files.

The network location from which the files should be copied, C\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\sxsoaps.man (this last part changes on the numerous windows that popped up)

Contact your System Administrator or insert Windows Server2003 Service Pack 2 source files now.'

I installed SP2 before Backup exec. I also cannot boot into Safe Mode.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

mark

MB1980
Level 2
I reinstalled Server 2003 Sp2 as the the error indicated the files were missing which indeed they were on the live server. I've restored a recent backup and I'm no longer receiving the error above, but the server still restarts when it hits the splash screen. Again, I cannot boot into safemode. Tried booting from the Server 2003 disc, but it won't accept the admin password when I try to repair. The only hw differences between the backup and live server are a couple of gig more RAM (4gb limit though so shouldn't effect?), an external SAS raid controller (used to for tape drive) and no g partition which holds only a few files which aren't important.