cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR file not created for imcomplete selection list?

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi, I'm running BE 2012 (not SP1 yet), and have a job to do a full backup of my media server and then duplicate to tape.  The media server uses B2D store on the D: drive.  In order to do SDR, I have everything selected for the backup.  However, when the full-to-disk job runs I get the following error:

Directory BEData\ was not found, or could not be accessed.

and then in the verify section:

WARNING: "\\LA-FP.marva.com\D:\BEData\B2D000142.bkf" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Each of the above messages is followed by I assume this is because it's trying to back up the media files that it's just creating.  So, I unchecked the BEData folder from the selection list.  And then here's the problem: it doesn't create a DR file, I guess because it considers it an incomplete backup. 

There are also some other directories I would like to uncheck (AntiVirus client, etc.) which have open files that can't be backed up and cause the backups to always say they are incomplete.

My question, then, is how do you ever get an SDR backup of a media server which has B2D [and other] files that can't be backed up? 

Thanks,
Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gayatri_Kokje
Level 3
Employee

Please try to exclude the files being skipped using the following method:

1. Open Regedt32.exe from Start | Run on the computer being backed up
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup 

3. Add a REG_MULTI_SZ string in the following format: [Drive][Path]\FileName [/s]

4. Close the Registry editor and restart the BE services. Create a new job and run it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

You can also copy the DR file manually at any point.

Rgards,

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

is B2D storage on C:\ or on a different drive such as E:\ , F:\ etc ? If the latter, you can un-check the entire drive & SDR will still be ON...

EDIT**

System volume, boot volume, system state etc cannot be unchecked....Lastly, if AOFO enabled ?

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Carlos, there was a single file that didn't get backed up - it was an AntiVirus client file (l alluded to the desire to uncheck that).  I have done that and it will run tonight.  Based on what you said, I take it that it will update the DR file after there are no files?

VJware, the B2D folder is on the D: drive - non-system, non-boot.  System state etc. is all checked.  AOFO is enabled.  I guess I'll see after tonight's run...

Thanks!

Bob

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Is really not related to the files you back up, The copy of the DR file is an updte of the settings.

You can update the DR file at any time, so it is really not too practical to wait until a long full backup completes without errors. If you are that much interested in having the DR file updated so frequently, do the copy manually as many times as you wish.

If the backup job runs correctly, it will update the file. If there are errors, do the copy manually that time.

Regards,

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Carlos, maybe I'm missing something then.  I did an SDR restore of this server recently (had to replace all the hard drives), and the DR file appeared to control what backups were available to the restore.  The DR file I used the first time was created before the duplicate-to-tape job had run, so booting from the restore disk made with that DR file (before the tape job had run) showed only the B2D backup and not the tape backup as an option to restore from.  I had to recreate the restore disk with the DR file made after the duplicate-to-tape job had run to get that to be an option to restore from.  Maybe I should ask what the process is to update the DR file other than to run a successful backup?  You said, "You can update the DR file at any time" so that's why I ask...

Thanks,
Bob

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I am not getting the following message, even though I have excluded this folder:

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\program files (x86)\common files\symantec shared\eengine\eectrl64.sys ...

Since it completes with exception on this snapshot error, the DR file doesn't get updated.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Can anyone help with this?

Gayatri_Kokje
Level 3
Employee

Please try to exclude the files being skipped using the following method:

1. Open Regedt32.exe from Start | Run on the computer being backed up
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup 

3. Add a REG_MULTI_SZ string in the following format: [Drive][Path]\FileName [/s]

4. Close the Registry editor and restart the BE services. Create a new job and run it.

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Gayatri,

Thank you!  I will give this a try now and we'll see how it goes tonight.

BobR2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you!  That is one trick I will definitely remember!  Thanks Gayatri.

Bob