cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Backup Schedule - Restore only shows every other day.

jmcleancjc
Level 3

Hello there.

I am still getting to grips with BE 12.

I have full weekly and daily backup configured, all appear to be working fine (no erros etc.)

However when going to restore a job, I would expect to see Monday 1st, Tuesday 2nd, Wednesdays 3rd etc.
But am only present with 01, 03, 05.

Is this because the job runs past midnight and is considered the next day?
Or is it to do with the retention setting of the daily backup (currently set to 1 hour (i read it was recommended)).

Either way I would like to be able to restore from any individual day correspondent of it's own backup.

Regards
James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK if you set the daily differential to 7 days then 

1) The full that the differential is linked to cannot be reclaimed (deleted form system) until the last differential can be (however I assume the fulls are kept for longer then 7 days so keeping the diffs for 7 days shoudl not affect the timing)

2) The differential will be kept for 7 days + up to 4 hours as longs as the next week's backups  have run and as such will disapper during the second week. If backups stop runnung we default toprotecting teh complete last set (which woudl be teh full and last differential) irrespective of your retenetions settings

3) Each differential is linked back to the last full 

4) Backups are point in time based as such in your scenario

- Monday though Thursday differenetial will back it up. Friday diff will not back it up because you deleted it, it will also not be part of the Sunday backup as such to avoid this you would have to keep your differentials for longer. BTW this is actually independent of differentials and incrementals - if you did full backups daily but only kept the dailies for 7 days with weeklies kept for 28 days you would have the same problem with your scenario.

BTW this is a problem with most backup software startegies that use different renetion periods for the daily and weekly data. It is always a trade off between space used, and 100% ability to restore files that change a lot during a week. It is kind of down to companies to understand what the nature of their temporary daily data vs more long term (longer than 1 week or 1 month) data is and to plan their renetntion strategy to meet their required retention.

C.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

Your retention setting should be based on how long you want to be able to restore for and 1 hour is NOT recommended.

jmcleancjc
Level 3

I want to achieve a month retention.

One thing I need clarification on is:

Does the full weekly backup contain individual instances of differential daily backup data?

By this I mean, If I set the daily differential retention to 7 days and come the end of week 2 and those dailys have been overwritten - would I be able to backup the changes made specifically on Tuesday week 1 or am I limited to whatever state the files are in given the time of full backup week 1?

I.e. I created a file on Monday, Modify it Wednesday and delete it Friday.
Will the 'full weekly backup' of that week which occurs on the Sunday limit me to it's latest state (deleted) or will it allow for roll back to  Wednesday or even Monday (or any day)?

Or do I need to set the retention of daily differential to also be 28 days so that I can pick and choose what specific day to restore from (If the weekly doesn't allow so)?

Sorry if this seems like obvious knowledge to most.

Depending on above~ Then I would assume that I would require OPP settings as:

Daily - OPP - 7 Days / 28 Days
Weekly - OPP - 28 Days
Monthly - OPP - 12 months

Colin_Weaver

OK if you set the daily differential to 7 days then 

1) The full that the differential is linked to cannot be reclaimed (deleted form system) until the last differential can be (however I assume the fulls are kept for longer then 7 days so keeping the diffs for 7 days shoudl not affect the timing)

2) The differential will be kept for 7 days + up to 4 hours as longs as the next week's backups  have run and as such will disapper during the second week. If backups stop runnung we default toprotecting teh complete last set (which woudl be teh full and last differential) irrespective of your retenetions settings

3) Each differential is linked back to the last full 

4) Backups are point in time based as such in your scenario

- Monday though Thursday differenetial will back it up. Friday diff will not back it up because you deleted it, it will also not be part of the Sunday backup as such to avoid this you would have to keep your differentials for longer. BTW this is actually independent of differentials and incrementals - if you did full backups daily but only kept the dailies for 7 days with weeklies kept for 28 days you would have the same problem with your scenario.

BTW this is a problem with most backup software startegies that use different renetion periods for the daily and weekly data. It is always a trade off between space used, and 100% ability to restore files that change a lot during a week. It is kind of down to companies to understand what the nature of their temporary daily data vs more long term (longer than 1 week or 1 month) data is and to plan their renetntion strategy to meet their required retention.

C.