cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Tape being identified as Cleaning Tape

MIB037
Level 3

We are usingg Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and one of our Data Tapes is being listed in the inventory as a Cleaning Tape, neither removing it and reloading it or re-inventoring it seems to make any difference once it reappears.  Is there something obvious being missed here?  Has anyone had this problem and no what I need to do rectify it?

Any advice appreciated.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MIB037
Level 3

tried all the above but had no success.  We have decided to upgrade our entire backup system anyway, and hopefully new hardware and latest software should resolve this.  Again thanks for the advice.  I'll close this call for now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make sure that the slot in which the tape in question is present, is not configured as cleaning slot.

1)Under devices, select the robotic library. 

2)Select the slot in question and select properties from general tasks.

3)Uncheck the cleaning slot option and click ok.

If you don't want to perform cleaning manually, insert a cleaning tape into the library slot and select that slot as cleaning slot.

Regards....

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you still have issues after trying what is suggested by Kiran then go to the media tab and go to the partcular media set to which this tape is assigned,right click on the media and move it to the retired media. Once it is moved to retired media delete it from there and run the inventory of the tape again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The BEDB is probably corrupted.  Go to the BE installation directory and use the BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

MIB037
Level 3

Will check and let you know ... thanks all...:)

MIB037
Level 3

tried all the above but had no success.  We have decided to upgrade our entire backup system anyway, and hopefully new hardware and latest software should resolve this.  Again thanks for the advice.  I'll close this call for now.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is there a barcode label on the cleaning tape ?
If it is incorrectly labeled, it will be recognized incorrectly.