cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Richard_Wallace
Level 2
Hi All,

I have had to re-install a server and since the re-install the backups keep failing.

I have a HP 360 G5 running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with a HP Ultrium 215 tape drive. The tape drive in a seperate Storage Works box and obviously connected via a SCSI cable. Now as far as the backups are concerned, they worked perfectly before my install, so I presume it's something to do with my install or config, but I'm unable to find the fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've install Backup Exec 10d and it reads the drive ok, as I've restored from it and have managed to backup a few files on it, but when I try a full backup I get the below:

----------------------------

Backup- E: STORAGEStorage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
This could be caused by either a dirty tape drive, bad media, or a SCSI problem.
V-79-57344-34028 - Error reading/writing data from/to the media.

----------------------------

It seems to run for about an hour and then throws this error up. I've tried several new tapes and also cleaning the drive, but unfortunately to no avail. I've also tried just installing the Backup Exec service packs but that hasn't made any different.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Rich
8 REPLIES 8

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Ahhh the glorious catch-all CRC error, how we all love it! :)

As you may have already seen it can relate to a wide variety of things both hardware and software, which makes tracking down the exact cause difficult.

Hopefully one of these might help,

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=62375 - good thread on the subject early last year.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192216.htm - technote relating to various causes and solutions for the problem. Relates to v9 but should still be relevant.

If I had to take a guess though, considering the tapes & drive haven't changed, presumably the connection between the storage works hasn't been disconnected & re-connected during the re-build, and the backup does partially work, I'd look at your drivers, both for the drive and for the SCSI connection as the first area of investigation.

Richard_Wallace
Level 2
Brilliant, thanks for the response.

The good news is, that is I use the standard 'Backup Software' found in 'Start\Accessories\System Tools' it works. So it looks like a Backup Exec driver issue.

I seem to remember when I installed Backup Exec it asked if I wanted to use Backup Exec or Manufacture drivers. But I can't find any option to change this back. Is it possible to swap it to HP's driver so I can give that a go?

I've tried looking for updated HP drivers on the Backup Exec site, but haven't seen anything other than product updates appear. Is it just me being stupid and missing them?

Many thanks again.

Rich

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Not sure on that one, there might be a way to get it to switch the driver you use but I don't know what it is.

It might be worth making sure you have all the lest service packs / hotfixes installed for v10, as I believe some of these include up to date drivers as well as bug fixes etc, so it might simply be that your old installation was at a higher patch level than your current one. If you use Veritas Update it'll take you to relevant web page for you to determine which patches are not currently installed.

Richard_Wallace
Level 2
Thanks again for your reply.

Oddly, Veritas Update always shows the same updates as available to install, even though I've installed them.

Hopefully it won't be too long before it's all working. I hope anyway...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rather than use the "New and Improved" Symantec download page, use the old Veritas page at http://support.veritas.com/content_ddProduct_BEWNT_view_DOWNLOAD.htm

much more user friendly

Just filter for your Version and Drivers, download that driver pack and run it, and it should update the drivers for your device(s) to the latest Symantec ones.

Richard_Wallace
Level 2
Brilliant, thanks for that. This page is much easier to navigate and make sense of.

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Rich

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
HI Richard

If the latest set of symantec drivers hasn't helped and you want to try the HP drivers for the tape drive, you'll need to search for those on the HP site, not symantec.

Have you also checked the firmware of the drive? I've had a lot of problems with an IBM LTO-3 drive in a Dell PowerVault 132T. New firmware was released late last year, and when I appllied it many (not all) of my problems went away.

Cheers

Howard_Ambler_2
Level 3
All,

Did you find a solution for this. I am having the same problem with BE 11d.

LSI Logic controller 22320 Dual U320 with MSL 5036 and HP SDLT 160/320 drives

Thanks

Howard