cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data flowing thru Network even on the same Backup Server insted directly on tape

Ashish_Kesarkar
Level 5

Hi All,

Recently we installed Backup Exec on one of the node of SQL Cluster Servers to take Backup directly on Tape Drives (Shown to SQL Server via FC Switch)

We installed software. Configured jobs. It was showing Virtual Nodes of SQL Clusters for selection.

We selected required database and started backup.

We observed the speed, it was too slow 1.2GB per min.

So we analyzed and came to know that the data is flowing thru network, eventhough the Backup Server and SQL Server is same.

Where we are doing wrong. How can we configure the Backup Exec so that the Backup will happen directly on tape and it will not even go to Network Port.

Thanks

- Ashish K

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If data is local to the server it should run across the FC. Is this the only server being backed up?

Have you tried to tune your tape drive as per pkh's article below?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Thanks!

Ashish_Kesarkar
Level 5

Hey,

Data is local to server, as it is Windows SQL Cluster Node, where we have installed the Backup Exec Software.

And this is the only node which is currently configured in Backup Exec. Backup Server is trying to contact SQL Cluster node via network.

How I can tell Backup server that the Virtual SQL Cluster node is on same server?

We tasted the same on Another SQL Server, it was giving speed upto 5000MB/s which was directly on tape. But the server was not in cluster. This was the only difference.

I referred your suggested  PKH's artical. It is pertaining to increasing backup speed of Tape Drive. But my scenario is different.

Thanks

Ashish K

CraigV

Have you installed Backup Exec as a cluster resource too? If not, you might want to do this, especially if Node 1 has BE installed and isn't the active SQL node.

read below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99043.html

Thanks!

Ashish_Kesarkar
Level 5

I havent installed it as a Cluster resource.

Node 1 is active and SQL Instance as well as Backup Exec Services are running on same server.

I am checking out the link given by you and will revert ASAP with outcome.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec always uses an NDMP network protocol request between BENGINE and BEREMOTE, however when backing up itself this will be using the loopback so should not actively go across the network. WIth a cluster however we may need to contact the IP address of the clustered resource to access the data for backup which could be across the network (especially if the resource is active on the other node from where Backup Exec runs.)

CraigV

...that probably explains why the backups run across the network then.

Thanks!

Ashish_Kesarkar
Level 5

Even though i will configure backup exec on cluster, I think Data traffic will flow on 1G network only. Is it right?

Ashish_Kesarkar
Level 5

Hi,

We have 1Gbps Network for SQL Cluster nodes. And that is the limitation which we want to overcome.

We dont want any traffic flowing thru network. Hence we installed Backup Server on the SQL Cluster node itself.

Are we following right path?

CraigV

Wait...does the SQL server with BE attached have direct access to the tape library via SAN? If not, then you need the Enterprise Server Option and SAN SSO licensed in order to share this from a different media server.

Thanks!