cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration from old tape to san storage

Jaweedaziz
Level 3
Partner Certified

We need to migrate data from old tape ( LTO3 & LTO4 ) to san storage.

Issue here is, we don't know which tape consists of what data....

We have around 180 tapes data to be restored.

Any suggestion ?  

Thanks

Note : Currently we are using different backup solution not Veritas backupexec.

6 REPLIES 6

RogRubin
Employee

Slightly surprised you asking the BE forum when using a different backup product.
For BE I would advise you to inventory and catalog the tapes and then create a duplicate job by selecting the backup sets via the BE GUI and target it to the new device.

Jaweedaziz
Level 3
Partner Certified

@RogRubin , my question was related to BE. The reason I mentioned other solution to tell everyone currently we are not using BE and wants to know the requirements related to hardware, software, license...etc

I believe we need to build new setup in order to migrate data from old tape to san storage.

kf2013
   VIP   

so data from old tape (LTO 3&4) were backed up by different backup solution, right?

Jaweedaziz
Level 3
Partner Certified

@kf2013

Correct, also they don't have information about which tape consist of what data.

Mostly they used Symantec BackupExec, netbackup solution for tapeout.

kf2013
   VIP   

I think you are not sure which backup solution you used. The only way is that you use both backup software to catalog tape media.

Do you have tape library? It would be faster to inventory and catalog more tapes in one job.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Could you maybe just be a little more forthcoming with information here?

1. What do you use to backup to initially? Disk or tape? If disk, what do you use? Same with tape.

2. Where does Backup Exec fit into the mix?

3. Where does your other backup application fit into the mix?