Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Check on Incremental Log-only jobs

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

My customer has a document database on SQL 2008, with 480GB of size.

Full backups run daily, taking about 8 hours (it first does a physical check, then backup, then verify). This process is so intensive that we cannot do those backups during the day, because user complain with performance issues.

That database is set to Full recovery Method, meaning BE has to manage its logs.

Now the question: If I create an incremental, log-only job at noon, do I have to do a physicial check? will it check the whole database as the full backups? I'm worried about disrupting users, eventhough it's lunch time.

Thanks,

Marco.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to do a physical check for your log backups.  Doing a physical check during your database backup is enough.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

It will do a full check against the database. Have you tested how much time does DBCC CHECKDB take when only run on the Database server against the database you are backing up. If it does not take time and the backup can complete in the time when users are on lunch you can start the job with dbcc else every day you do have a full backup running with dbcc.

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have seen that job starts at 22:00, but no data is written to the Media Server after 2 or 3 hours. Rate is 1518.07 MB/s and job duration is about 9 hours. Network is Gigabit and backups are done to a SATA disk.

Applying Simple math: 480GB / 1.5GB/min = aprox 320 min...means about 5 hours for all databases (incluing the big one).

So, I guess:

- 2 hours for consistency check

- 5 hours of backing up

- 2 more hours for verify.

How about it?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to do a physical check for your log backups.  Doing a physical check during your database backup is enough.

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot for your replys!