cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database cant be fixed via BEUtility

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I am using B.Exec 2010R3.

I saw that my BExec Services were stopped. Upon trying to start them, the "dependency service" error repeated until I got to Device and Media Manager service. That gave me a "...server specific error code  536928979".

And...Windows eventlog showed error of "Media service could not start because the database recovery has failed"

Facts

- I have SQL Server 2008 installed on the media server.

- Servcies.msc shows a service name of "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"  [I would have expected to see the instance name BEXEC or similar]

- I have stopped and restarted the SQL Services

- I have run BEUtility.exe and the following options

1. Check Database Consistency - failed
  2. Repair database - data repair failed
  3. Recover database and I tried all 3 recovery methods.
  • Use best recovery - error, Unable to attach log files
  • Drop existing database and reload from backup - error, The database linkage is bad
  • Drop existing database and reload from base - error, The database linkage is bad

- I have run Rebuild Database I - error, Failed

- I have tried aAdd/Remove program of BExec- error, Could not connect to SQL Server for DB locations

- I have a BEDB.bak file in the Backup Exec\Data folder

Status

I do not know what to do next to:

1. Create a new databsae or

2. Try and get Backup Exec to start.

Thank you for any input.

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the ADAMM.LOG file (best checked from end of file up to see latest lines)

It will contain entried called

Database Server Info:

Database Connection String:

THis two enttied can be used to work out what server ran teh backuP Exec Databse and what teh instance name was called.

If it was called BKUPEEC (the default) and this is no longer on your srever then something has uninstalled SQL Express

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for reply.

Here is what the ADAMM.log file says:

Database Driver Info: SQLSRV32.DLL, 06.00.6002

Database Server Info: Server Name = "OurFileServer", Active Node = ""

Database Connection String: "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=OurFileServer\SQLEXPRESS; DATABASE=BEDB; App=BEWS PVL"

The services.msc for OurFileServer, it does show: SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and it has been restarted.

Add/Remove Programs shows Microsoft SQL Server 2008

When I go into SQL Server Configuration Manager Local > SQL Server Services , it does not show any instance or database or reference to SQLExpress.

It shows the following:

Windows Internal Database (Microsoft##SSEE) (Stopped)

SQL Server Browser (Stopped)

Not sure where to go from here.

Question

Should I create a new database and then drop the BEDB.bak file that I already have on top of the newly created database?

Does the Adamm.log info above give any clues as to what to do next?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you try a connection test to SQLEPRESS using

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000025985

If this fails or connects but does not show BEDB in the list then something has affected your SQL instance outside of Backup Exec and if you have a copy of the BEDB.bak (with a recent date) and the catalogs, jog logs files etc(Data folder + Catalogs folder)  it then might be better to uninstall + re-install backup exec  and let it install a BKUPEEC instance (as then you won't be sharing with another application and not sharing an instance is a recommened practice as any action by BE cannot then affect the other application and  and nothing any other application does in their own SQL instance can affect Backup Exec.

Once you have BE up and running in a BKUPEXEC instance then you can recover the BEDB.bak and your catalog

Your other option that does not use an uninstall/re-install is you could try attaching (restoring) the BEDB.bak into that SQL instance to see if BE services will start.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

The SQLExpress article did bot perform a successful "Test Connection".

How do I attach/resotre the BEDB.bak file? (I see it...I just am unable to use Beutility.exe with any success.

What I had tried earlier was the following:

I have run BEUtility.exe and the following options
1.Check Database Consistency - failed
2.Repair database - data repair failed
3.Recover database and I tried all 3 recovery methods.
•Use best recovery - error, Unable to attach log files
•Drop existing database and reload from backup - error, "The database linkage is bad"
•Drop existing database and reload from base - error, "The database linkage is bad"

- I have run "Rebuild Database" - error, "Failed"