cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight savings time change caused unscheduled backup

Sheila_Lane
Level 2
We have scheduled backups that take place M,T,W,T,F nights at 11pm. The time changed on Sat night due to daylight savings. An unscheduled backup ran this morning (Monday) at 12 am.

I read your article Document ID: 267203 which describes a one-time unscheduled backup due to time change, but the parameters given in the article do not reflect what happened here.

My question is: Do I have to reschedule all of our backups, or will it rectify itself as stated in your support article even though the rest of the article did not reflect our situation.

Thanks!

p.s. when registering to use this site, the Other Title field is not marked with an asterisk as required, and yet must be filled in to continue.
9 REPLIES 9

Salomon_Safie
Not applicable
Hello Sheila, we also had your very same problem. We had pre-scheduled backups to start at 11:00 PM everynight. Everything has been going fine until the time-change on early-Sunday morning. Our Sunday FULL-backup did not run due to the jobs been rescheduled automatically. Now our backup jobs have been automatically-rescheduled to start at 12-midnight instead of at 11:00 PM.

Sheila, you have mentioned about Document ID: 267203, where do I find that? when you get a chance if you don't mind replying to my message.
Thank you,

Salomon Safie
IT/CAD Support
LEE & RO, Inc.

Ed_Hansberry
Level 4
Same here. All of my backups time shifted to start one hour later than normal. We are on Central Time. All machines in the domain shifted properly. It is like BE10 ignores the timezone and is doing it as an absolute offset to UMT. Sounds like a bug to me. Unless I see a reason for this (I couldn't find anything in the scheduler that would allow for this) or a bug fix, I'll have to remember to manually reset the times in the spring.

Ahhhh... here we go. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267203.htm

Apparently it is being considered for a fix in BE11 but they have no intention of fixing it for BE10. Might be time to check out the BE Command Line utility and let Windows Task Manager schedule the backups. http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/275538.pdf

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Weird: 4 out of 11 BE servers in our environment shifted job times +1 hr. No apparent relationship to one another

Sheila_Lane
Level 2
Backup ran at the scheduled time of 11pm last night so it seems to have corrected itself. As Ed says, I guess the only issue now will be remembering to adjust for it in spring and fall until we upgrade to v11.

Thanks for your posts!

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I put our schedule on hold and waited until after the time change, as the article suggests. When I took everything off hold after the time change, most (but not all) jobs had to be rescheduled. Wouldn't you think working through the time change would be a product feature, particularly when it worked on v 8.6 and earlier?

Sheila_Lane
Level 2
I'd be hesitant to use their 'work around' and put the schedule on hold if it's going to affect only some of the jobs. I'd rather they all be wrong than some right, some wrong - at least that way you'd know you have to fix them all rather than having to waste time checking all the schedules.

I was very surprised that the scheduling was affected by the time change as we've been using Backup Exec for the past 5 years and never had this problem before now. We upgraded from v8 in April, so they've obviously broken something in the upgrade.

Ed_Hansberry
Level 4
Same here. We upgraded from 8.6 to 10 in late May. What is frustrating is if you read the document I linked to, 9.x was affected by this as well, so there is no guarantee 11 will fix it.

I am seriously considering shifting everyting back 30 mintues and then just letting it float knowing it will always be done within 30 minutes of when I wanted it done.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Sheila,
No action is necessary to resolve this issue, Backup Exec will automatically correct itself following this one-time occurrence.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ed_Hansberry
Level 4
You can't assume it will correct itself. Mine didn't. After 2-3 days, I manually adjusted it.