cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedupe Scope?

PKR
Level 2

Could anyone please clarify the scope of deduplication for the Dedupe Store? Is it across the entire store or by job or even sub-job? I suspect by sub-job as I'm seeing a few 1:1 ratios for what is the same data just backed up on a different job schedule.

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee
The deduplication technology within Backup Exec is applied across all backups managed by a deduplication-enabled Backup Exec server.

Apologies for the delay in replying, and thanks for the response. However this is not what I am seeing at this end.

A full backup job on a monthly schedule doesn't seem to register for a subsequent full backup job of the same data but on a weekly schedule. Both jobs require the full amount of storage (1:1) despite the weekly data being 95% identical to the monthly.

I'm trying to test this further this week to either confirm or find out where I'm going wrong. But currently it seems to me that the dedupe is calculated by job rather than across the entire store.

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

Yeah that doesn't sound good. You should have a Dedupe ratio in the job log or on the job history page. Can you confirm it's 1:1?