cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Folder on BackupExec2012 Will Not Create

Usupport
Level 2

I had an issue with a deduplication folder in Backup Exec 2012 that filled up beyond space and went offline. Whatever I tried, I could not force it back online. I found the following community post, describing a similar issue with available space and offline folder.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/deduplication-folder-stays-offline#comment-7591311\

I followed the steps in the posted solution for space reclamation, and ran through this cleaning process.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130103

Following that, as specified in the solution posted, I deleted the dedupe storage in Backup Exec GUI. It pointed the jobs using it to my other disk storage.

Then I tried to create the new dedupe folder, and pointed it to the old data, and used the same account that was being used by the dedupe folder previously.

At this point, I got an error. that Backup Exec is "Unable to create the deduplication disk storage. An error occurred while creating deduplication disk storage. See the following link for information: http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-287-40960-39685"

In the logs, I get two errors, one from SPOOLD and one from SPAD.  It seems to be pointing to a password issue but I have checked the account I am using and it is using the proper password.  It is the same account I used previously for the deduplication folder.  Error messages from log below.  Any ideas?

Log Name: Application
Source: spoold
Date: 6/26/2013 3:08:29 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *************
Description:
The description for Event ID 1 from source spoold cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2:
BadValue : (none)
File : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
Section : Symantec\PureDisk\ContentRouter
Entry : ConfigFilePath
Reason : Empty or missing configuration directive, file not found or access denied.

and the one from SPAD

Log Name: Application
Source: spad
Date: 6/26/2013 3:08:28 PM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *************
Description:
The description for Event ID 1 from source spad cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

-1: Authentication failed, invalid password !

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Usupport, I am looking into this but wanted to ask if you are uptodate with live updates (and the remote servers have the agent repushed to them) ?

Usupport
Level 2

Yes thank you for the reply.  I did run liveupdate today and have installed all updates.  There were six hotfixes that installed today.

Usupport
Level 2

lmosla - any ideas?

Thanks in advance

lmosla
Level 6

Based on the error you are getting it looks like an antivirus program may have been part of the issue.

Please see the following link Backup Exec Deduplcation Option's deduplication engine (spoold) fails to start due to files deleted/... 

If the solutions listed here do not fix the issue I recommend submitting a support case with Symantec

abeherm
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Imosla, please give another link because that one is error.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello abeherm,

try this one:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136166   if it doesnt work  do you have another browser you can try it on?

brholmes
Level 3

Try giving the Backup Exec service account Full Control permissions on the drive where you are trying to re-create the dedup folder.