cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Option - Best Practices ?

RHeiniluoma
Level 0
Good Morning All,

I have recently purchased BE2010 with the Deduplication Option, and wanted to get some best practices and thoughts from the community.

Our corporate Data Retention policy is six months, our total data footprint at the point I started everything is about 3 terabytes, and there is a LOT of duplication in there.

We have about 10 windows servers, three with SQL, domain controller, exchange, etc... so I've got the licensing to cover them.

Recently I added VMWare VSphere into the mix, and I'm getting started managing these backups as well.

I have a 10TB NAS dedicated as a backup point, as well as a 25TB Quantum tape library.  The primary media server in the main office has a 1.5TB drive - Dual E5504 Nehalem CPU, 12GB ram.

What I'd like to do is the following:

Monthly Backup - I'd like to filter this through the Dedupe process, the first full backup of the month is kept for 6 months, then overwritten. This should be kept on the tape backup.

Weekly Backup - Friday night - full backup, run through dedupe, kept on NAS, retaining weekly backups for a month before overwriting.

Daily Backup - Incremental backups, no dedupe, kept for one week.

The way I read the documentation, I can only put the dedupe folder on the local drive (should be fine if I can realize at least 50% compression/reduction) of the media server.

I have set up the daily/weekly/monthly media sets to do the rotation and retention, but I'm still fuzzy on how to "push" the deduped content...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6
First off, bookmark this, and read thoroughly.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/340961.htm

N
ow, you can place your dedupe folder anywhere that is block level storage.  NAS is not an option.  So iSCSI, DAS, Fiber, USB, eSATA...  I was kidding about the USB, dont do it for performing reasons.  Nor Firewire 400/800.