Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Pool Configuration ?

AMDGunni
Level 2

Hello,

Question 1:

what is the best practice to organize a Deduplication Pool in Backup Exec 2012 ?
A Disk Pool configured with Raid 5 or Raid 6 ?

Question 2:

What Size of Deduplication Pool is best Practice for a specific Size of Backup Data ?
There is a specific formel to calculate the size ?
I know it depends on the kind of backuping data, but existing a "rule of thumb" or anything else to help to find the right size ?

thanks for your answers

5 REPLIES 5

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Question 1:

what is the best practice to organize a Deduplication Pool in Backup Exec 2012 ?
A Disk Pool configured with Raid 5 or Raid 6 ?

Answer : RAID 5 as symantec home made appliance use RAID 5 configuration for deduplication so its the best way to configure disks in the pool

Question 2:

What Size of Deduplication Pool is best Practice for a specific Size of Backup Data ?
There is a specific formel to calculate the size ?
I know it depends on the kind of backuping data, but existing a "rule of thumb" or anything else to help to find the right size ?

Answer : You can have only 1 deduplication folder per backup exec server. The size depend on the amount of RAM you have 8 GB for 5 TB of deduplicated data. every additional 1 TB will required 1.5 GB of RAM

UP 32 TB of storage pool is supported

Also disable RAID caching as its recommended by symantec

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74446

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23357

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It does not matter whether you use RAID 5 or RAID 6.  There is no preference.

As for the size of the volume that contains the dedup folder, you should give it the biggest size that you can afford.  Although you can move the dedup folder later, it is going to be a chore.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The goal is to get HIGH sustained write speeds.  It's not important if fit's RAID 1, 0, 10, 5, 6, or 50.  Only your particular storage, controllers, configuration can make that determination.

if you can hit 200MB/s of write speeds you are in good shape.  Ideally 300MB/s.  This is the metric NBU TPM's have used, and BE and NBU are both based on PureDisk binaries.

Symantec's choice of RAID5 in the appliances was a balance of speed, cost, and reliability.  In fact, I'd say it was short sighted.  Do you know how long it takes to rebuild a RAID5 array with today's modern 1, 2, or even 4TB drives?  Days to weeks!.  If another drive fails, then what?  We are talking Nearline SAS/SATA right, which inherently has a higher failure rate than enterprise class 10k/15k drives.

AMDGunni
Level 2

Symantec configured RAID-6 in their NBU Appliance 5220 for the Deduplication Pool not Raid-5 !
For the Backup Exec 3600 Appliance, i have no information about the internal RAID-Configuration.
I can imagine that there they only use RAID-5 in BE 3600 Appliance.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Just a correction size of dedupe folder does not depend on RAM.... It is recommended to have atleast 8gb (for backup exec dedupe) + os required ram for 5tb data...however memory requirement would increase with an increase in dedupe data I.e 6tb recommended would be 6×1.5 + os required memory....