cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication Storage Folder in Undiscovered State

Timothy_Hance
Level 2
I am trying to setup Backup Exec 2010 on a new server for testing and eventual production.  I am trying to setup a Deduplication Storage folder on a dedicated volume (5TB - iSCSI), and everytime I do the storage folder is created sucessfully but I can not use it.  If I go to the devices view the folder is marked as "Undiscovered".  I have tried running backup jobs to this folder and any job that tries to use it just sits in a queued state.  Can someone help me out and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I am using a Windows 2008 R2 x64 server, with and EMC AX4-5i iSCSI SAN

One other thing that is strange, is that if I look at the properties of the deduplication folder that was created it has different properties than the ones that I specified when I created the folder.  The folder location is missing/greyed out, also the logging levels are set differently than when I created the folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
12 REPLIES 12

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Have you been able to create the folder successfully before? Are you creating the target folder on the file system before creating the dedup storage folder device? Delete the folder and try recreating it on a new location, a different drive may be. Please provide the log after folder creation. It would be pdde-config.log file located under <Dedup storage folder path>\log folder.

Thanks

Asbj_rn_Morell
Level 2
Same problem here. The first time the server was rebooted the dedupe folder whent into undiscovered mode - will hang for 30-60 mins and then come online, but no jobs will run. (queued) Recreating the deduplication folde in a another folder targer (e:\dedupe-new) does not solve the problem. The Windows event log gives some "Access Denied" errors related to dedupelication.

Windows 2008 R2 X64
N3600 iSCSI SAN.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 First off make sure that the iSCSI initiator is configured correctly to reconnect.

Then you will probably have to bind the BE services to the iSCSI service to make sure that the services dont start before the iSCSI service has attached to the storage.  

iSCSI is more than just playing with the MS initiator and logging on to a LUN.  Often a service needs to tweak it's dependency to be based on the logical disk manager, or have it bind to the iSCSI service...

Asbj_rn_Morell
Level 2

Any information on how to bind the BE services to the iSCSI service?

tbrand
Level 2

Same problem here - Installing works fine. After initial install the status says "restart needed". After a system reboot the status states "undiscovered state". The properties of the folder (path/dbpath) are empty. Maybe installing on a primary domain controller without local user database is the problem? Any workarounds?

Its a test environment with a locally installed new empty sata hard drive for the deduplication store

In the logfile I can find a number of errors:

15.03.2010 10:49:54,72 Checking if the user "brand.local\purediskdbuser" exists on this system.
15.03.2010 10:49:54,76 WARN: The user "purediskdbuser" already exists on this system.  Will attempt to reuse.

15.03.2010 10:49:54,77 Creating user "purediskdbuser" for the postgresql-8.3 service...
Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.

User account 'brand.local\purediskdbuser' already exists.
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\createuser.exe ran to completion
15.03.2010 10:49:54,79 Stopping postgresql-8.3 service...
[SC] ControlService FEHLER 1062:

Der Dienst wurde nicht gestartet.
15.03.2010 10:49:57,23 Starting postgresql-8.3 service...

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-8.3
        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS  
        STATE              : 2  START_PENDING
                                (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x7d0
        PID                : 8972
        FLAGS              :
[SC] StartService FEHLER 1056:

Es wird bereits eine Instanz des Dienstes ausgefhrt.

15.03.2010 10:50:19,33 Finished writing PostgreSQL details to contentrouter.cfg.
15.03.2010 10:50:19,33 Verifying that PostgreSQL is running
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
15.03.2010 10:50:19,33 Executing spoold.exe --initdb...
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "counters_pkey" for table "counters"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "spoolertasks_pkey" for table "spoolertasks"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "objects_pkey" for table "objects"
g:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\etc\puredisk\contentrouter.cfg and g:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\etc\puredisk\agent.cfg: verified OK
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Process(spoold)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(0)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(1)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(2)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(3)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(4)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(5)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(6)\% Processor Time (no such object)
Warning: 25004: Could not initialize performance counter for \Processor(7)\% Processor Time (no such object)

gregolso
Not applicable
I'm seeing the same error here too as well. I've opened up a tech support case, and was "moved up to teir two" support as the initial tech saw a few other of these cases we're opened and were at teir two. So far no call back in the past 24 hours (was told I'd get a call back within 3-4 hours). Sucks to pay for Gold support, and get Brown support service.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are some issues with iSCSI storage for a DeDup folder documented here:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/344950

tbrand
Level 2

In our test environment we have created the DeDup folder on an sata drive. Also the state of the DeDup folder is "Nicht erkannt" (German version) which I guess translates in the english version to "undiscovered" as the original poster stated - not offline.

tbeard
Not applicable
I also have a undiscovered Deduplication Storage Folder.  I have deleted, recreated and rebooted the media server.  The dedup folder is still undiscovered.  Any backup jobs submitted are in Ready;Unknown job status.  A test run fails with a E0008703 error. 

I started a case about 3 weeks ago.  It was escalated to tier 2 where the support has died. I have called or sent a reply email (3 times now) and can not get any support from tier 2.  Does anybody have any suggestions.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Call in, get to a human, and immediately ask for a "duty manager."  They will help you out, and get the ball rolling.  That could mean a high level tech, or a swift kick in the butt for the other support person that dropped the ball on this.

jh99vdub
Not applicable

anyone get this figured out?

dbrown18
Level 2
Ditto on has anyone figured this out.

I have a depupe folder working fine on the CAS.  When I created an additional dedupe folde on an MMS it stays in the undiscoverd state.  Both servers are running Windows 2008 R2 and the latest patches for BE2010.

Thanks
Doug