cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication backup scheme

Gob
Level 3

Hello all,

Running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

I am currently using B2D to implement the following backup scheme: I have B2D folders (one for Mon, one for Tue, etc. all the way to Friday) and a B2D folder called Weekly. I have differential backups being perfomed to the daily B2D folders and then full backups being written to the Weekly folder at the end of the week.

The backups written to the individual daily folders are part of a media set called Daily Media which can be overwritten after a week and the backups going to the Weekly folder are part of a media set called Weekly Media which is overwrite protected for 4 weeks. Essentially this lets me have the current week's backup from the differential backups and the 4 previous full backups on disk.

I am wondering how something like this would look with a deduplication folder? I want to save disk space and I have a lot of files that don't change so I think it would really help.

Would the idea be to keep the same daily differential and full weekly jobs, but just change the device to the deduplication folder? My concern with that would then be that I have a lot of BKF and IMG files mix together as opposed to now it is slightly more organized as a backup is targeted to a specific B2D folder.

Any thoughts on this situation would be greatly appreciated or if you would like to share how you currently implement your backups with deduplication. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yes, you point to just a single dedupe folder (You can only create one anyways)

You should NOT be managing BKF/IMG files to begin with, only media sets.  This is a backwards approach to managing backups.

Outside of that, when you have well defined media sets with proper retention periods applied, you should not worry about what goes into the dedupe folder.  Only that you kow you can restore data properly and that it's being overwritten as needed so you don't run out of room.