cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication - heads up

DDSI
Level 2
Partner

I ended up jumping through some hoops to get the Deduplication engine working on Windows 2008 Server.

The following error continued to be displayed everytime I attempted to create the DeDupe folder:
"An Error Occurred While Creating the Deduplication Storage Folder"

Nothing was logged int the Windows Event Logs or Backup Exec Alerts Panel.  However, after doing some digging in text logs within the DeDupe folder I found that there was an authentication issue when trying to load one of the last modules within the automated folder/DB setup.

In summary, even with UAC disabled, the DeDupe folder properties didn't take kindly to using the local administrator account.  Just create a standard account (Domain Or Local User) and the automated setup program will take care of the rest.

2 REPLIES 2

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 Did the username you were using have any special characters in it? Or was it the once with the default name of "administrator"? Anything unusual about this machine; e.g.: not in a Domain? upgrade from prior OS version? security lock-down besides UAC?

DDSI
Level 2
Partner
This was a fresh physical machine build on new hardware.  It was joined to a domain prior to installing BE 2010.

The default account that was used was simply %hostname%\Administrator.

Although we wouldn't use that account in production we decided to do an install with literally ALL OF THE DEFAULT settings to see if it would cause problems.

We ran the Symantec Environment Check on the box and it just reported that we didn't have SAVCE / EndPoint Protection installed.  Everything else passed with flying colors.

A few additional notes:
LiveUpdate doesn't install by default, so we navigated through the installer files, installed it, then attempted to retrieve updates using the built-in GUI.  No updates were available though.

We're currently in the process of rebuilding the hardware arrays to test different interleave and sector sizes with the deduplication engine.

We've also tested a combination of RAID array types, sizes, etc, and even mixed it up by creating striped dynamic disks on top of the hardware arrays to see if we could get a performance gain.

Our first test box is a small DL165 G5 that has a total of 8 cores, 16GB of memory, 2 RAID controllers, and an external disk enclosure filled with 1TB 3G SATA drives.

Our second test box is a DL380 G5 with 8 cores, 24GB of memory, a Fiber Channel Tape Library, and connected to a dedicated EVA 4100 test SAN with (56) 300GB 15k FC drives.  The drives are all in the same disk group and we will test the performance of the dedupe engine using both vRAID1 and vRAID5.  It will have the CASO and SAN shared storage option installed with multiple DL360 media servers installed as members.  I'm eager to see how well the DeDupe folder will work throughout the entire group.