cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication with Full / Incremental Backup

Burndown
Level 3

I've inherited a backup exec solution in a new role and although I'm familiar with the software I haven't used deduplication before.

In the past I've always used the Full + Incremental model but what is the best practice to utilise Deduplication?

The backups in place use disk storage and the deduplication uses seperate disk storage.

Currently the process is ;

Full backup once every week

Incremental each weekday.

Duplicate (full as source) after each Full  backup.

Duplicate (incremental as source)  after each Incremental backup.

Verify after each stage.

My concern is that the whole process is taking a very long time with each backup progressively missing targets as the week progresses.

I know the benefit of using deduplication is to save the amount of data being backed up but is the model above best practice or should I be losing the Full or incremental stages whilst we have the dedupe stage?

For extra info we are backing various systems including windows file shares, exchange (with GRT) and SQL server. All the backups of each server use the same model as above.

I've read as much documentation as I can but I can'd find the actual best practice model. Apologies if I've missed it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Dedup is just another type of storage. It should not affect your backup scheme, like full and incremental. When you use dedup, you are trading off more processing vs. Space savings

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Dedup is just another type of storage. It should not affect your backup scheme, like full and incremental. When you use dedup, you are trading off more processing vs. Space savings

Burndown
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. So am I correct in thinking that Full + Incremental + Dedupe (after each stage) is correct?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You can target your full and incremental jobs to the dedup folder and your backup sets would be dedup'ed automatically. There is no need for a separate stage

Burndown
Level 3

Perfect. That's exactly the information I wanted to know. Thanks. smiley