cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Backup Files

edvSDL
Level 4

Hi,

I deleted a bunch of B2D files and ran an inventory job on the folder. However, when I create a restore job I can still backup sets I actually deleted before.

How can update the database so that physically deleted B2D files don't show up anymore in the restore selection list?

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Where did you delete them from? BE or the B2D folder? If from BE, delete the physical files in Windows and run the inventory again.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

The restore window shows information based on catalog files genarated during backup

Have you erased B2D files or you manually deleted them from the phyical location.

Erase job would have deleted the catalogs too. The backup sets will appear in the restore window

till the catalog retention period is not over.

edvSDL
Level 4

I manually erased them from the physical location.

I think I'm gonna try this, hopefully it won't erase tape catalogs :)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35390

So for the future, would you recommend to delete B2D files by using erase jobs?

Or should I move them to "retired" and manually delete the B2D files from disk?

CraigV

I use BE to be honest...

AmolB

I prefer overwriting B2D files, so once the overwrite protection is over BE overwrites B2D files along with the catalogs.

edvSDL
Level 4

the following article refers to "on-disk catalogs". I looked the catalogs folder, it also contains catalog data from Media Servers that only have tape backups. So I'm pretty sure by following the procedure described in the article, I would not only re-index my B2D folders but also lose my tape catalogs. Can you confirm that?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35390

AmolB

Could please check the catalog retention period, click on Tools->option->Catalogs->Truncate catalogs after.

edvSDL
Level 4

truncate catalogs is not configured, I'm trying to re-index right now.

edvSDL
Level 4

Well, re-indexing for some reason does not work. Anyway, I'm gonna call it a day and will continue to clean up my B2D folders next week by moving files to "retired" and then erase them in order to properly update the catalogs.

CraigV

...just be aware that if you truncate the logs, it only truncates from that point forward...anything older has to be moved/deleted!