cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Media / Overwrite Media on BE 2012

itcab
Level 4

Hi,

i have upgrade to BE 2012 and now i have the problem that my backup device is full.

My first question is: How can i delete manually the individual media sets. On BE2012 i´m going to devices, select the b2d folder an see the media sets. With a right klick can i delete manually. Where is these option on be2012?

The other question is, where can i setup that the backup job overwrite the media, that is older than x days?

Thank for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In BE 2012, you can delete a backup set by doing this

1) On the Storage tab, click on the storage to go to the details screens

2) On the left-hand side of the screen, click on backup set

3) right-click the backup set that you want to delete and select delete

However, note that if it is a Disk Storage, it is under the management of DLM.  You would not be able to delete the backup set if it is the last recovery point of a resource.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How can i delete manually the individual media sets?

Are you asking about deleting backup sets? If so, yes you can delete in the way you mentioned. But it will not delete the bkf file from windows explorer but it will remove the backup set info from BE database. You have to remove the files from windows explorer manually.

The other question is, where can i setup that the backup job overwrite the media, that is older than x days?

In backup job properties Under Storage. With BE 2012 media management is different when it comes to disk and tape. For disk backups, no need of creating media sets anymore. You can specify the retention periods in backup job properties directly. 

See the attached image....

oops_c2003
Level 4

HI Itcab

To delete please got to storage tab select the Disk storage or device to be deleted then go to media set right click and go to details and select the corresponding backup set right click on Backup set and uncheck retain go back to All media details and then select backup set and you will get the option to delete it

If it is a disk storage then the Period can be set in the job under storage tab

PLease mark this solution as resolution if it fixes ur issue

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you asking about deleting backup sets? If so, yes you can delete in the way you mentioned. But it will not delete the bkf file from windows explorer but it will remove the backup set info from BE database. You have to remove the files from windows explorer manually

This is not true.  Unlike previous versions,  when you right-click on a backup set and select delete, BE will delete the corresponding media file from disk.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In BE 2012, you can delete a backup set by doing this

1) On the Storage tab, click on the storage to go to the details screens

2) On the left-hand side of the screen, click on backup set

3) right-click the backup set that you want to delete and select delete

However, note that if it is a Disk Storage, it is under the management of DLM.  You would not be able to delete the backup set if it is the last recovery point of a resource.

itcab
Level 4

At first, thank you at all for the replies.

pkh wrote the solution. I had try this before i post the problem, but this view in media sets is in my opinion to confuse. I have no context from the list by the media set in be2012 to my rdx storage. Where can i see under media set, the .bkf name?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The underlying .bkf files are hidden from view so that they are not messed with inadvertently.  There is a registry change to make them appear for trouble-shooting purposes.

databor
Level 3

Check out the link below to show your hidden media.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179265

itcab
Level 4

Thanks to pkh and databor. It works