cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete all DLO Revisions

WelshPretender
Level 3

Hi,

We're using Netbackup DLO 6.1 MP4 (same as BackupExec DLO).  We've found that the file revisions are taking up a lot of space on the storage servers, so want to put an expiry on all revisions on the network data store.

The DLO manual states the following under 'Backup Selection Revision Control':

Enter the number of days after which all revisions in the network
user data folder will be deleted.
Note The most recent revision will not be discarded.

Is anybody able to advise on the note in bold?  Does this mean that we're not able to remove the last revision, regardless of whether it is older than our revision expiry limit?  If so, is there a way of getting rid of these revisions?

Cheers

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Say for example, you are backing up all the *.DOC files.  This is a full backup of *.DOC.  If you remove the last version of MyFile.DOC from the Network even though the user still has this file on his workstation, the next time DLO backup runs, it will backup the file again because it is not protected and it is part of the inclusion *.DOC.

So is that the case doesn't really want to backup *.DOC ?
if you a user has one file, doesn't he want one revision of that file protected? or you thinks 1 revision means two backup copies of the file

So, say users have Documents for the last 5 years, but Admin only wants to backup current DOC files , If you goes into the Global Excludes.  Tools -> Global Excludes.  There he can check a box that says "Exclude all files modified before" and then he can enter a date like 1/1/2009,
This will prevent DLO from backing up any .DOC files that have not been modified recently

other then that there is not really anything that we can do.  Also, this is a Global Exclude so you can't say I want all .xls files whenever they were created, but only *.DOC files that were created since 1/1/2010

I hope this answer your query if yes please mark the post as solved

Thank You

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

This forum is for backupexec can you please close this thread by marking it solved & please open a  new thread for Netbackup so that they can help you on this

Thank You

WelshPretender
Level 3

Backupexec DLO and Netbackup DLO are effectively the same product, but I believe Backupexec DLO is more widely used - hence posting the question here.

Is anyone able to advise on my query?

Cheers

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

The DLO manual states the following under 'Backup Selection Revision Control':

Enter the number of days after which all revisions in the network
user data folder will be deleted.
Note The most recent revision will not be discarded.

Is anybody able to advise on the note in bold?  Does this mean that we're not able to remove the last revision, regardless of whether it is older than our revision expiry limit?  If so, is there a way of getting rid of these revisions?

Ans:

As mention by you in aboe post Yes it will not discard the most recent version but if you want you can manually remove them but I will not remove them if I needed them

Thank You

WelshPretender
Level 3

Unfortunately, your answer isn't really very helpful.  You seem to be just reiterating what I've already stated.  If you don't know the answer, could you please not reply to the thread.

I'm wanting to know ...

Is there a way of deleting the last file revision automatically by expiry?

or

Is there a way of deleting the last file revision with some form of search task?

or

Is the wording within the manual not completely explanatory and the last revision is removable after another configurable expiry period?

Cheers

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

If the client has a file on their workstation that is backed up.  We will always keep at least on copy of that file backed up.  If that file should not be backed up, then it should be excuded from the backup selection.  If it is excluded from backup selection after it is backed up, then DLO will groom it off.

For example, say you are  backing up *.mp3 files by mistake.  To remove those file if he goes into Proifle Backup Selection and excludes *.mp3 files, then DLO will groom the .mp3 files off the network.

But say you are keeping *.doc files and the user has a file named mywork.doc it gets backed up.  If the user never touches file files for 3 years, but it still exists on his client, we will keep that file in the NUDF.  But say the user deletes the file "mywork.doc" from the workstion.  Then DLO will groom that file off the NUDF after the retition period.

Thank You

WelshPretender
Level 3

Thanks

Yes, I understand this, but it still doesn't answer the question as to whether the revisions can be removed automatically or manually after the retention period.  I'm not looking to exclude particular file types, but rather to remove all revisions - including the most recent - after a retention period of XX days.

Basically, what I don't understand is why the last revision of the file is always kept.  In 99% of cases, the file revision is not required, so this is unneccessarily wasting huge amounts of disk space.

With this in mind, I would assume that there is a way of discarding the last revision too.

Cheers

WelshPretender
Level 3

Ok, I think that may have answered my question.  If I understand you correctly, the wording in the manual is slightly dubious.

The way I've read it, and I'm sure the way some others will have read it too, the last revision is the previous version of the file, not the most recent version.  If that were the case, there would be many, many unneccessary versions of files being saved to the data store.

'The most recent revision' refers to the current version within the users My Documents folder and no previous versions are kept.  If that is the case, I think the wording in the manual needs to be made clearer.

Cheers

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Say for example, you are backing up all the *.DOC files.  This is a full backup of *.DOC.  If you remove the last version of MyFile.DOC from the Network even though the user still has this file on his workstation, the next time DLO backup runs, it will backup the file again because it is not protected and it is part of the inclusion *.DOC.

So is that the case doesn't really want to backup *.DOC ?
if you a user has one file, doesn't he want one revision of that file protected? or you thinks 1 revision means two backup copies of the file

So, say users have Documents for the last 5 years, but Admin only wants to backup current DOC files , If you goes into the Global Excludes.  Tools -> Global Excludes.  There he can check a box that says "Exclude all files modified before" and then he can enter a date like 1/1/2009,
This will prevent DLO from backing up any .DOC files that have not been modified recently

other then that there is not really anything that we can do.  Also, this is a Global Exclude so you can't say I want all .xls files whenever they were created, but only *.DOC files that were created since 1/1/2010

I hope this answer your query if yes please mark the post as solved

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Thanks for the update & yes the manuall seems to be bit confusing about the same but the one I have explained you will be how it would be working 

Cheers

Thank You