cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete old catalogs

adminsi
Level 3

Hi

We had a storage dataloss on our deduplication storage. We created a new storage to host a new deduplication storage.

As Backup Exec can only host one deduplication storage, I needed to delete the old one from the interface. It never really finished. The old deduplication storage disappeared from interface, but delete task was still running after a few hours.

I was able to create the new deduplication storage and restart backups but old catalogs are still there as delete task never finished.

Is there a way to delete old catalogs to prevent Backup Exec to show me that I can restore Data that dont exist anymore as old dedup storage was lost ?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should be able to just delete them, but maybe consider moving them to a new location first in case something breaks.

your alternative is to log a support call with Symantec to get them to do so securely.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there any raw data left over in the actual physical space used by the old DeDupe folder ?

Instead of deleting the catalog files, you can instead wait for the catalogs to be truncated (if the catalog truncation is enabled under global settings) or try running a catrebuildindex -r to resync the catalog files.

adminsi
Level 3

No more data on old Dedupe Folder. Physical Raid failed, complete data lost

No truncate configured under global settings and dont wanna wait a few months ;)

Just want to delete old catalogs because they show data which would never be recoverable cause old dedupe folder does not exist anymore

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you know which catalogs to delete ? What if inadvertently you delete required catalogs ? Not just backup sets, this can affect the DLM process as well.

If you are absolutely sure which catalog files to delete, then take a backup of the Catalogs folder, stop the BE services and delete those files.

imho, its better to be safe by either waiting for the catalog truncation to occur or try running catrebuildindex -r (though in your case, as truncate isn't enabled and if its gets enabled in the future, it will only affect newer catalogs, so better option is to rebuild the index)