cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Backup Jobs BE 15

clocknane81
Level 3

I am trying to restore some deleted backup jobs in Symantec BE 15. I have read a knowledge base article that talkes about using the BEutility to recover the database, however, that is not succeeding. My last bedb.bak file was from 4 am this morning (6/21/19), but I don't ever get an option to select that file to recover the database. When I use the beutility, I select my BU server and have the option to recover, but only get the option to Use best recovery method for current config, drop existing database and reload from backup (don't get the option to pick my bedb.bak file so I guess it just knows to choose it?), Drop existing database and reload from base which is not an option. 

I have been selecting the option to "Drop existing database and reload from backup", however, upon doing this, it tries to stop services and that does not succeed and it eventually errors out. I get a bunch of service failures with error 1051. 

I also tried to just recreate a backup job that mimic'd the ones deleted, however, upon trying to add servers to the backup job it seems to take a long time and just says loading. Is this normal? How long does it take?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated as we are without backups until I can get this service back up and going.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Unless you're backing up the Data/Catalogs folders each night, your bedb.bak file will only ever be from the night before. Which explains why it isn't restoring your deleted jobs. The default backup of the BEDB to bedb.bak is simoly a point-in-time snapshot of the BEDB, with no versioning or multiple copies kept.

If you DO backup your media server every night, then it should be a simple of case of doing the following:

1. Restore the bedb.bak file from the date before you deleted the jobs. This would mean a redirected restore to a temporary location;

2. Rename the current bedb.bak file to bedb.old;

3. Copy the restored bedb.bak file to the Data folder and try running the restore again.

The downside to this is that any other jobs run subsequent to this restored file will be unknown!

Recreating the job is probbably the better option. Try uninstalling the remote agent (if in use) on those servers in question, the reinstall them and try creating the jobs again.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Unless you're backing up the Data/Catalogs folders each night, your bedb.bak file will only ever be from the night before. Which explains why it isn't restoring your deleted jobs. The default backup of the BEDB to bedb.bak is simoly a point-in-time snapshot of the BEDB, with no versioning or multiple copies kept.

If you DO backup your media server every night, then it should be a simple of case of doing the following:

1. Restore the bedb.bak file from the date before you deleted the jobs. This would mean a redirected restore to a temporary location;

2. Rename the current bedb.bak file to bedb.old;

3. Copy the restored bedb.bak file to the Data folder and try running the restore again.

The downside to this is that any other jobs run subsequent to this restored file will be unknown!

Recreating the job is probbably the better option. Try uninstalling the remote agent (if in use) on those servers in question, the reinstall them and try creating the jobs again.

Thanks!