cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Backup Set From Disk Wants to Also Delete Tape?

stever3901
Level 3

I am runnig out of disk space on our disk based storage and wanted to delete a backup set. I was expecting it to want to delete related Incrementals but was surprised that it also wanted to delete the jobs that were duplicated to tape.  Since we want to retain our tape for a long period of time, erasing the jobs or even the related catelog entries isn't going to work for us.  Is there a way to just purge the job off the disk and retain the Jobs on tape? 

Thanks

Steve

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Even if the duplicated backup sets are "deleted", it is probably their catalog entries that are deleted.  The backup sets will remain on tape.  All you need is to catalog the tapes and you would have them back.

stever3901
Level 3

We run our backups to disk and duplicate to tape this week and the next week we  have to purge the backup sets on disk becasue we have limited disk space. If this also deletes the related tape catelogs then we can't search for which tape has the files we need.  It defeates the purpose of the tape catelogs if they only live as long as the disk sets are available.  In our case we do restores almost every day as far back as a year so we have to have the tape catelogs avaiable at all times.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You should not have to manually purge disk data

Just set the OPP for your disk media sets (adn use a different media set for your tape data) such that they last long enough for the duplication to tape, and then are overwritten by the 2nd or 3rd following disk job

stever3901
Level 3

I agree but in this case it was some of my test sets so I had to do it manually. So when they are overwritten on disk after they timeout the cataglogs for the tape will remain?

So If I have the Full set to expire in 6 days and the daily incrementals set to the same, the fulls won't be overwritten until the last incremental has expired corrrect? so the net effect would be 12 days before the full can be overwritten? 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So when they are overwritten on disk after they timeout the cataglogs for the tape will remain?

If the two share the same media set, then the tapes will also be eligible for overwrite (hence my suggestion of two different media sets

For your test media sets, you can either delete the whole media set or else reset the OPP to 0 hours

So If I have the Full set to expire in 6 days and the daily incrementals set to the same, the fulls won't be overwritten until the last incremental has expired corrrect?

If they share the same media set, and if we are talking disk where only overwrite should be used, no, they will all expire xx days after the backup completes (depending on the OPP of hte media set)

For tape, if you append the INCR to the FULLs, then yes, the tape(s) will expire xx days after the last INCR is written to the tape (since appends requires the same media set)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up to a Disk Storage, and not a Disk Cartridge device, then the management of the data is done by DLM.  See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Media set is not applicable to a Disk Storage.