cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting / Removing a Backup Exec 2012 Backup and Dedupe to Tape

Neil_Natic
Level 3

I upgraded from 2010 R3 to 2012 this morning and had a set of policies and jobs that had all of the servers in our environment in each.  One of the sets of jobs were older and just there in case i needed to revert back and are no longer needed.  Also with the way that the backup jobs are broken into a job for each server / resource I would like to just clean it all up so it is organized and neat with a better naming convention. 

So, in short, how can I delete a backup?  I tried to edit it, but you can't remove the last backup job in a backup and you cant remove all of the selections for a backup to remove it.  How can i clean this all up?  What am i missing?  Is there a way to see all of the selection lists anymore or is that also no longer there?  I am really confused on why I cannot delete a backup.  What if I wanted to stop backing up a server but not remove it from the server (so i can easily restore or see what was backed up in catalogs)

Finally, I would like to duplicate my data that I am backing up to my dedupe folder to tape.  In 2010, backing up to dedupe and then from dedupe to disk would take forever since it had to rehydrate the data.  Is this any faster in 2012, or am I better off doing separate backups jobs for each server (one to dedupe and another to tape) like I had to do in 2010?

Thanks for your help!

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

Performance if I had to guess from dedupe store to tape is the same, as it hasn't been improved much at all in PureDisk or NetBackup where the technology is more "mature," than in BackupExec.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Quoting from page 259 of the BE 2012 Admin Guide.

BE 2012 Administrator's Guide

================

To delete a scheduled job
  1. On the Backup and Restore tab or the Storage tab, double-click the server or the storage device where the job is scheduled to run.
  2. In the left pane, click Jobs.
  3. Right-click the scheduled job, and then click Delete.
  4. Click Yes.

Neil_Natic
Level 3

i am not sure why but i dont have this option.  

When i right click the scheduled job i can only edit it.  I saw that if a job has multiple servers you cant delete just the scheduled job but i cannot find anywhere to see that it has multuple servers in the job. 

This new setup really does make sense, but it is a pain when converting from older versions of BU Exec.

Data_Defender
Level 3
Partner

For whatever stupid reason there is scheduled backups, or as now described as 'backup definitions' cannot be removed using the GUI.

Here is how to remove a backup definition:

WARNING - removing definitions deletes them from the system - use with care!

Open the BECLI

Enter:

Get-BEBackupDefinition

This will show you all your scheduled (definied) backup jobs.

Find the one you want to remove.  Note (or copy into clipboard via Mark and Select) then use:

Get-BEBackupDefinition "Backup server.yourdomain.local 00001" | Remove-BEBackupDefinition

Changing the  "Backup server.yourdomain.local 00001" to whatever you want to remove.  Quotes are needed because of the spaces within the name.

You can go crazy and delete them all with:

Get-BEBackupDefinition | Remove-BEBackupDefinition

The last one allows you to say Yes, No, Yes to All, No to All so you can pick of the ones you want to axe using that command,

Why it cannot be done in the GUI is beyond me.  However those who used to be hardcore Exchange 2003 admins found that when we moved to 2007/2010 the PowerShell is where we have to do certain things.

DD

Data_Defender
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

There is a way of doing this I've just discovered....

.. sometimes one can't see the wood for the trees, so the saying goes and this is what we have to do - look at the tree!

When in the Backup and Restore Tab and you are looking at your server(s) - ensure you are not in list view but in tree view.  Then the indiviudal jobs that have been defined for the server (the backup stage and duplicate stage - consider them branches of execution) will shrink into a single job definition entry.

So in tree view you can delete the scheduled jobs.

Hope this helps someone!

DD