cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting VMWare Clients from BackupExec

mzwk
Not applicable

Hello.

I need a quick and straightforward solution to delete vmware clients from Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Its nowhere described in the manual, nor in any discussion.

The only thing i find is to delete the whole VMWare ESX Server. I want to delete one specific Virtual Machine.

And i cant adopt a solution like to delete Windows Hosts from the favorite Resources List - There is no "Delete this Host from the prefered resource" option.

How is this accomplished?

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls be a bit more specific as to why and where do you want to delete the VM from.

Deleting a VM from the backup selection list ? Or Deleting a VM's backup sets ?

Preventing BE from backing up this VM at all ?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

You would potentially have to retire and delete all backup sets/media so that no catalogs exist for any backups of that system  (probably not a good idea if you ever want to restore data that used to be on that system) - note: it might not be that easy for you to identify the media in question as you may have to manually review every backup set from that system to work it out.

You would then  have to make sure the clients are not powered up and running the backup exec remote agent (so not advertising to the media server) and then wait for at leats 14 days for it to tombstone and remove itself from the list.

BTW BE 2014 has a retired servers group that you can move clients like this into which then hides them from other lists and but means you can maintain the catalogs so stil get at the data to restore if needed.

Note1 : if the VM in question is still registered inside VMware then you cannot stop it appearing in the backup selections, but you can deselect it from the jobs

Note 2: if the VM in question was originally individually selected in a backup jobs and the VM no longer exists, then you will have to look at the details (text based) view of the job selection list to remove it, because it will no longer show in the gui/tree view of the backup selections.

TBarstow
Level 3

BE 2012 R2 on 3600. 

How do you do "Note 2"?  I have a host that lists VM's that have been gone several months.  It keeps trying to back them up and failing (of course).  I can add edit or hold VM backups, but I can't find where to delete them.  If I try to remove selections it just gives me an error (selections required).

VJware
Level 6

Edit the backup job & choose Edit on the left pane. Click on "Selection Details" tab and here a text view of the VMs is displayed. Choose the VM which is no longer present and click on Delete.