cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting backups older than x days.

Biohazzard
Level 4
I am new to Backup exec and we are using version 12.5.  Every night I have a job running that does a full backup to disk where the files are picked up by another backup tool and archived to tape. Is there a setting that i can configure to delete backups that are older than x days?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On the media tab, right click the media set(s) that is/are the target of your B2D job(s)

Right Click\Properties

Also be sure that from Tools\Options\Media Management that Overwrite Protection is either PARTIAL or FULL and not NONE

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

chicojrman
Level 6
You can place a B2D folder on any network share that you wish. Just make sure that the BackupExec service account has rights to the share, and that you define it using \\ServerName\ShareName, rather than via mapped drive. (when the job(s) run there is no environment, and thus no mapped drives). Symantec expects you to dedicate a partition to B2D. Now if you are talking about Exchange B2D jobs, then that's enitrely different. Exchange IMG folders follow their own set of rules that are created magically out of thin air, with no options to adjust them at all.

Biohazzard
Level 4
I'm not sure I understand your response. I already have a B2D folder and my backup job is using is successfully. But after running full backup jobs night after night, the drive eventually gets full.

My question is, is there a setting in Backup exec to delete backup files from the B2D folder that are older than x number of days? If not how do you do backup to disk and not run out of space?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rather than trying to remove/delete the old BKF files, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) of the media set(s) involved such that when you no longer need the data, BackupExec can re-use them

Not sure why you are using a different tool to Archive to tape.  BackupExec  will do this quite nicely.  Using a policy, you can DUPLICATE a backup set to tape.  Backup Exec keeps track of tape volumes, and you can restore directly from tape (as long as you are not using GRT enabled backups)

Biohazzard
Level 4
We use arcserve to backup our environment enterprise wide. But Backup Exec was better suited for Enterprise Vault so we purchased it just for that purpose. It has the inherent ability to shut down the EV services where arcserve cannot. I am the EV admin so this fell into my lap... I am not really the backup admin so some of these concepts are new to me.

Where do i set this? I go to the properties of the job and under "destination - Device and Media" my only choice for Media Set is "keep data infinitely - do not allow overwrite".

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On the media tab, right click the media set(s) that is/are the target of your B2D job(s)

Right Click\Properties

Also be sure that from Tools\Options\Media Management that Overwrite Protection is either PARTIAL or FULL and not NONE