cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting incremental backup set

voggers
Level 2

Hi!

When I'm trying to delete an old incremental backup (or a full one), I get up a massive list of backup sets which are dependent on the incremental backup I trying to delete. (see screenshots)

Is this the correct behavior?  (there are plenty of Full backups completed since then)

Since all backups are dependant on the oldest one, I can't really delete any.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@voggers -

From the DLM blog quoted above,

DLM process will be kicked off every 4 hours or whenever receiving low disk storage event.

Is your disk online all the time?  Otherwise, it may have missed the grooming cycle.

You are right that the first backup chain should be deleted.  There are some other users who are seeing the same problem.  See the comments on my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

You should open a support case with Symantec and ask them to investigate the problem.

Also, you should ask your original question, i.e. why is the backup set that you are trying to delete dependent on backup sets which are created later.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Yes what you have seen is right in BE 2012 for disk backup there is DLM ,which keep track of dependent backup set & so yes you will also have to delete the dependent backup set

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH182577

Thanks

voggers
Level 2

But why is a backup I just did, dependent on a backup I did over a month ago?

I thought a Full backup would break any linkage?

Example:

I'm trying to delete an expired incremental backup done 4 weeks ago. Since that incremental backup, 3-4 Full backups have run successfully + loads of Incremental backups.

So when I try to delete that incremental backup, I have to delete ALL backups for that set, up until today?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

So when I try to delete that incremental backup, I have to delete ALL backups for that set, up until today?

No Backup exec will not delete all backup set and will keep 2 backup set for restore purpose

{

o   The dependency of full and associated incremental backup sets will be checked to prevent broken chain of full/incremental backup sets.   In other words, DLM won’t groom expired full and incremental backup sets if there is a dependent incremental backup set that has not expired.

o   DLM won’t delete the last copy of the latest recovery point chain.

§  The definition of the recovery point chain:

·      Associated full and incremental backup sets that are generated from the same job for the same resource using the same selection list.  (e.g. \\Server\C:, \\Server\MSSQL\BEDB)

·      Delete operation from Backup set view:

o   Deleting a backup set from backup set view will delete the backup set and associated backup data from disk storage.

o   The dependency of full/incremental backup sets will be checked on deletion.   The depending incremental backup sets will be shown and prompted.  User will have the option to either cancel the delete operation or delete the selected backup set/associated backup data and all shown depending backup sets/associated backup data.

}

Please check more from this link below

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backup exec will not delete all backup set and will keep 2 backup set for restore purpose

Why 2 backup sets?  If the last backup chain has more than 2 backup sets, all these would be retained.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Pkh ,Oh sorry missed on that ,I mean to say the last copy of the latest recovery point chain and not 2 ,still I have given reference of the link posted in BLOG from the Developer which should clear his douts

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Also {DLM has a rule to always keep the last copy of the latest recovery point chain per job definition per resource. }

So untill some one changes the value in registry below

1  - DLM will groom the last copy of the latest recovery chain when they expire. 

Then it will ignore the rule & will allow to delete all backup set

Please check the link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957

Thanks

voggers
Level 2

But I STILL :) don't understand why I would have to do that.

This means that my backups won't reclaim any space when they expire.(my disk based backups will then just expand in space all the time....and the 2 weeks expiry means nothing)

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I am not sure what your above comment is , my backups won't reclaim any space when they expire. This will not happen backup set would be expired automatically I think you have not read the  link properly please read it carefully

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957

Thanks

voggers
Level 2

Let's set up this example.

Backing up to disk:

Full on the week + Incremental on weekdays. Expires after 2 weeks.

So after 4 weeks, I will have 4 full backups and 20 incremental.

Let's say the disk is now close to full capacity, and the first 2 weeks backups are past their expiry.

This is where I probably misunderstand something:

Common sense would say that the DLM would now delete some of the first backups (maybe all from the first week)??

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes as soon as backup set are expired after 2 week yes the space should be reclaimed ,so if it is not you can check in Backup-Exec-Settings-Click on Overwrite recycled media have attached the snap for you see if that is selected so if that is selected it should reclaim the space once the backup st are expired

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@voggers -

From the DLM blog quoted above,

DLM process will be kicked off every 4 hours or whenever receiving low disk storage event.

Is your disk online all the time?  Otherwise, it may have missed the grooming cycle.

You are right that the first backup chain should be deleted.  There are some other users who are seeing the same problem.  See the comments on my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

You should open a support case with Symantec and ask them to investigate the problem.

Also, you should ask your original question, i.e. why is the backup set that you are trying to delete dependent on backup sets which are created later.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're posting within a couple of minutes of a previous post, just edit that 1...wink