cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell PV-124T Autoloader not working

talanrail
Level 3

I just uninstalled 10 and installed 11, and 11 detects my Dell PowerVault 124T autoloader as one standalone device.  How do I get it recognize all the automated slots on my device?

11 REPLIES 11

Greg_Meister
Level 6
As I posted in a similar thread earlier today:

First thing I'd check would be to power down both the server and the library. Power up the library, and allow it to fully initialize to a ready state. If it has a display console, make sure it reports no errors. Then restart the server. Watch the SCSI BIOS during POST to verify that the library and drive are detected at their correct SCSI (or LUN) addressing. Once back to Windows desktop, assuming nothing wrong has presented itself yet, check Device Manager again and verify the hardware now shows correctly. If not, check the System Event log for any errors. These may be from either a SCSI controller or from the tape hardware itself.

Regards,
Greg

talanrail
Level 3
Ok, when my system boots up it finds the PV-124T on LUN 0.  In the device properties for the "Quantum Value DLTtape(tm) DLT VS160 Drive"  it says it is on LUN 0.  I don't know if this is the problem, but the medium changer shows up as a separate device as "Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader" on LUN 1.  In BIOS there is no LUN 1 shown at post.

In BE 11d if I do a diagnostics I get the follow results:

0002:0000:0000:0000  "adpu160m", (Port Driver)
0002:0000:0004:0000  "QUANTUM DLT VS160       3100", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape0"
0002:0000:0004:0001  "DELL    PV-124T         0031", (Changer Device), ""

talanrail
Level 3

Here is the error I get in both Windows Event Viewer and BE11d:

Backup Exec Alert: Device Error

(Server: "S-SECURITY") Storage device configuration error.

Problems were encountered during the configuration of your storage devices. Please use the Windows Event Viewer to view the Application Log for more information.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
What, if any, errors are showing in the System Event log? If Backup Exec is reporting the device configuration errors in the Application log, there will usually be one or more hardware-related errors in the System log.

Greg

talanrail
Level 3

Here is the error in the System Even Log, but it has only come up three times since yesterday, and I've been trying to fix this since Wednesday.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: P124TX32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Date:  4/6/2007
Time:  2:37:44 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: S-SECURITY
Description:
The device, \Device\Chang, is not ready for access yet.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Event ID 15's are usually hardware related, but can occassionally be caused by drivers or firmware. For starters, verify that the SCSI controller, robotic library, and tape drive are all at latest firmware and driver revisions.

If the library is still not detecting correctly, try uninstalling our tape drivers via the Tapeinst.exe application (reboot required). Verify after reboot that Windows Device Manager shows Quantum as the driver provider for the tape drive. The library should show as "Unknown medium changer", with Microsoft as the driver provider. Launch Backup Exec, and run the Device Configuration Wizard to see if the hardware is detected correctly.

If the hardware is still not detected, stop and disable all of the Backup Exec services, then start the Removable Storage service, and set it to automatic. At this point, open Computer Management, and see if Removable Storage sees the hardware. If so, test an inventory there, and run NTBackup to test a backup job. If any of these items still have a problem, then the issue resolves down to either environmental/OS, or a hardware failure.

Greg

talanrail
Level 3
I stopped all the Backup Exec services and the "Removable Storage" service was already running.  I hope that is right.  In computer management, Removable Storage had both the changer and drive disabled.  After enabling both I was able to run inventory with out a problem. 

Just a reminder that this exact same hardware worked fine in Backup Exec 10d from 200+ straight days of backups.

talanrail
Level 3
/bump

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Sounds like you currently have OEM tape drivers installed, otherwise Removable Storage wouldn't be able to communicate to the tape hardware correctly. Stop and disable Removable storage. STart the Backup Exec services, and set them to automatic. Launch Backup Exec, and run the Device Configuration Wizard. Verify that the library and tape drive are detected correctly. If so, run an Inventory job on the library to confirm that it loads and reads the media correctly. If the Device Configuration Wizard fails to detect the library, or the Inventory fails, run the TAPEINST.EXE utility, and install the Symantec tape drivers. Run the Wizard again after the reboot, and test again.

Greg

talanrail
Level 3
The tape device is using the following driver:

Provider: Symantec Corporation
Date: 1/12/2007
Version: 5.1.

Autoloaders Drivers:

Provider: Quantum Corporation
Date: 9/8/2006
Version: 2.2.5.0

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Are you in a position to uninstall 11.d and reinstall 10.d to verify that the hardware is still detected and functional at that version? If so, please do so and let me know if that still works correctly. Once confirmed, instead of uninstalling, perform the 11.d as an upgrade, and again let me know if the hardware is detected or not.