cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell PowerEdge 2850 crashes when backup starts

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Hello!

After the server rebooted from the crash, Internet Explorer opened to the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis page, which indicated Symantec is aware of a problem with the symevent.sys file that causes crashes. Microsoft indicated that Symantec has no known fix yet.

Here are the details.

We just did a fresh installation of Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server on a new Dell PowerEdge 2850, dual Xeon, 4GB RAM, two 73GB SCSI drives hardware mirrored.

We have all the patches, except SP1 is not installed for the OS or for SBS 2003.

Software is:

Small Business Server 2003 Standard, not SP1
Veritas Backup Exec 9.4691.1 SP2
Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0.1.1000, scan engine 51.1.0.15 (latest downloaded version)
Symantec Mail Security 4.6.1.107 (latest downloaded version)

The crash has happened several times almost immediately after the backup starts.

What is the issue with the symevent.sys file that Symantec knows about and what is the workaround to keep our brand new server from crashing? Is this only a Symantec problem, or is Veritas Backup Exec causing part of the problem?

Thank you!

Gregg Hill
20 REPLIES 20

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

This happens because a third-party file system filter driver interferes with other filter drivers.

We would like to know whether you have installed the Advancd open file option?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
AOFO is not installed.

Andrew_Schaefer
Level 3
This is an issue which has just occured due to the release of Symantec AV Corporate 10.0.1 It is a known issue and they are working on resolving it. Initially they thought the crashes were caused by having Roxio Easy CD creator installed, and there was a temporary workaround for it. I have run into the same exact problem. The Symantec tech said they will be releasing an updated symevent.sys and should be ready tomorrow. If you disable auto-protect while the backup is running you should be fine in the meantime. If you want to search for the update go to www.symantec.com/search and search for the following document number 1998092408260848

You want to make sure that the version of the symevent.sys is 11.6.3.4 you can only see that if you download the file and then right-click and go to properties.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

"Symantec is aware of a problem with the symevent.sys file that causes crashes. Microsoft indicated that Symantec has no known fix yet".

As we have stated earlier that "This happens because a third-party file system filter driver interferes with other filter drivers"
And as you are not using AOFO, so this is not a issue with the Backup Exec.
symevent.sys file is related with the Symatec filter driver.
So we suggest you to contact the Symantec Technical support as this forum is specifically mentioned for Backup exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gregg_Hill
Level 2
Andrew,

Thank you for that information. I will go look it up right now.

Gregg Hill

Gregg_Hill
Level 2
Deepali,

I will follow Andrew's suggestion and look up that article. If it is not what I need, I will call you...um, I mean I will call Symantec.

Since that "third-party" driver is Symantec's (now your parent company), you may want to pass on this information to them.

Thanks!

Gregg Hill

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Greg,

Kindly update regarding the issue after referring to the technote sent by Deepali.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Symantec still does not have the updated symevent files available (at least not the version 11.6.3.4 noted by Andrew Schaefer).

Since I removed the SAVCE 10.0.1.1000, it has not crashed, so it is probably safe to assume Andrew is correct.

Gregg Hill

Steve_Bennett
Level 3
Gregg:
I just got off the phone with Symantec. They admit the issue and suggest backing the SymEvent to Version 11.6.1.1. This is the version that came out with NAV CE 10.0.0.359. You can also reconfigure the Admin Server Options, Auto-Protect Advanced (close path). Remove the option for "Open for Backup" Their other suggests was to exclude OS files; no chance of viruses in these files!
Good Luck!
SB

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Steve,

Thank you for calling Symantec. The problem with their suggestion is that the only SAVCE file available for download is version 10.0.1.1000. The client received an upgrade letter in the mail and using that serial number, we are only given the 10.0.1.1000 version to download.

I will have to call to see if I can get an older version somehow.

Gregg Hill

Steve_Bennett
Level 3
Gregg:
No thanks needed, I have been working on this issue for three weeks. They will not admit to anything. I had to press them for information based on what I had already found! The version they recommend ships with NAV 10 - original release (v10.0.359). If you need, you can e-mail me for files.
Steve

Andrew_Schaefer
Level 3
Good news! Symantec has finally released the updated version of SYMevent.sys. You can get it at ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/symevnt/ The newest version is 11.6.4.2 This better fix the problem lol.

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Andrew,

Thank you for the updated information. When do you intend to test the new files?

Gregg Hill

Andrew_Schaefer
Level 3
I've re-installed the av software on the server and am testing right now.

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Andrew,

You may want to look at this thread http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=101&threadID=50958 as well, as there may be a problem with the new files still.

Gregg Hill

John_Cavet
Level 2
I am running into this issue right now. I have Backup Exec and a different server than the Symantec AntiVirus Server. I read through and didnt come up with a way to fix it. Can someone please help?

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
John,

This thread is old and dead. You would be better off to start a new thread and provide DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS.

In your NEW thread, tell the forum what OS your server runs, what brand and specs on server hardware, what antivirus brand and version, what version of Backup Exec, what other software on the server, what is the exact text of the BSOD screen, exactly when did the problem occur, etc. The more detail you provide, the more likely you are to get a meaningful answer.

Gregg Hill

John_Cavet
Level 2
The spec are identical to yours. I have a small business 2003 server. Same version Symantec. 9.1 Backupexec.

Poweredge 1600SC.

Gregg_Hill_2
Level 3
Then what did you mean when you stated, "...and a different server than the Symantec AntiVirus Server."?

That led me to believe your were using different software.

Did you install the latest SAVCE and symevent files from Symantec? Search their site for sevinst.exe and install the latest after you install the latest SAVCE.

Gregg Hill