cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell PowerVault Nas,Tape Library,Symantec BE Implementation

EgyHawk
Level 3

Dear All,

I've been recently hired in an international company,my manager is going to implement a storage/backup solution using Powervault nx300 servers,PowerVault 114dx 1000 tape drives and Symantec Backup Exec.

we have :

-2 sites connected via WAN link

we want :

-To install one Powervault nx300 nas server , one Powervault 114dx 100 tape drive on each site with Backup exec

-Each site will be backed up on the local PowerVault nx300 NAS Server , and each site will be backed up on the remote site as well (each site will back up the remote site).

I'm really unfamiliar with storage,can you help me figure out how will this work ? 

What operating system should be installed on the NAS Server ?

Where Should I install Symantec Backup Exec ?

What is EXACTLY the function of the NAS Server and the Tape library ?

Where will I install Symantec Backup Exec ?

How many licenses will I need for the os and BExec ?

How can I connect the Tape-Library to the Nas Server ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd ideally look at installing Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 onto the NAS as this would make file-sharing etc a lot easier, as well as having an operating system installed that supports things like Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010 etc.

However, check on the Dell link below as it only lists the non-R2 OS as being supported and raise that with them. A non-R2 version would also work, but try going for the latest-and-greatest.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powervault-nx300/pd

Once done, Backup Exec 2010 R3 gets installed on that Powervault server. Run LiveUpdate and install SP1 (anything before is rolled up into SP1), and then run LiveUpdate again to install the additional updates released after SP1.

The purpose of the NAS server is going to allow you to share files across your LAN to users, as well as allow for B2D capabilities within BE, if you choose to backup to disk first. As things stand, because you want Site A's data to be located on Site B, you'd need to duplicate the data between the sites to a B2D before straming off to tape (if you choose).

Your licenses would be as follows:

2 x Backup Exec 2010 R3 media licenses for the 2 backup servers you have.

If your tape drives are located in an autoloader and you have more than 1, you'd need that amount of extra Library Expansion Option licenses (BE only supports 1 drive in an autoloader/library initially until the additional drives are unlocked).

NDMP license if you connect the tape storage to the server like that; if SCSI/SAS, there is no need for any special sort of license.

CASO license which will be installed on 1 server and allow you to replicate the data between the sites.

Your backup itself would work as follows:

1. Backup Site A and Site B locally to themselves (to disk FIRST if you want to replicate the data between the sites; then replicate that data to tape for off-site storage).

2. Replicate Site A's data to Site B and vice versa.

The type of backup you choose should be dictated by the amount of data being backed up. If it is a lot, Full backups aren't an option, and you should be looking at Differential/Incremental backups at a minimum, or deduplication which would be ideal for sending smaller amounts of data across your WAN. Dedupe needs a license too per server...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

You'd ideally look at installing Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 onto the NAS as this would make file-sharing etc a lot easier, as well as having an operating system installed that supports things like Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010 etc.

However, check on the Dell link below as it only lists the non-R2 OS as being supported and raise that with them. A non-R2 version would also work, but try going for the latest-and-greatest.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powervault-nx300/pd

Once done, Backup Exec 2010 R3 gets installed on that Powervault server. Run LiveUpdate and install SP1 (anything before is rolled up into SP1), and then run LiveUpdate again to install the additional updates released after SP1.

The purpose of the NAS server is going to allow you to share files across your LAN to users, as well as allow for B2D capabilities within BE, if you choose to backup to disk first. As things stand, because you want Site A's data to be located on Site B, you'd need to duplicate the data between the sites to a B2D before straming off to tape (if you choose).

Your licenses would be as follows:

2 x Backup Exec 2010 R3 media licenses for the 2 backup servers you have.

If your tape drives are located in an autoloader and you have more than 1, you'd need that amount of extra Library Expansion Option licenses (BE only supports 1 drive in an autoloader/library initially until the additional drives are unlocked).

NDMP license if you connect the tape storage to the server like that; if SCSI/SAS, there is no need for any special sort of license.

CASO license which will be installed on 1 server and allow you to replicate the data between the sites.

Your backup itself would work as follows:

1. Backup Site A and Site B locally to themselves (to disk FIRST if you want to replicate the data between the sites; then replicate that data to tape for off-site storage).

2. Replicate Site A's data to Site B and vice versa.

The type of backup you choose should be dictated by the amount of data being backed up. If it is a lot, Full backups aren't an option, and you should be looking at Differential/Incremental backups at a minimum, or deduplication which would be ideal for sending smaller amounts of data across your WAN. Dedupe needs a license too per server...

Thanks!

EgyHawk
Level 3

Dear Craig,

Would you do me a favour to end my confusions ? :)

"The purpose of the NAS server is going to allow you to share files across your LAN to users, as well as allow for B2D capabilities within BE, if you choose to backup to disk first. As things stand, because you want Site A's data to be located on Site B, you'd need to duplicate the data between the sites to a B2D before straming off to tape (if you choose)" 

I can understand that I SHOULD backup the data first to disk (B2D) before I backup the remote site ?

To which disk should I backup the data first ? to the tape ? or to the NAS disk ?

I have one tape Robot in each site,so I need a license for each of them (2 licenses total)

I connect the tape Storage to the NAS Server , I read that NDMP is needed with NDMP Netapp, EMC Celerra, and IBM N-Series storage,I'm using Powervault from Dell,so I won't need it , RIGHT ?

1. Backup Site A and Site B locally to themselves (to disk FIRST if you want to replicate the data between the sites; then replicate that data to tape for off-site storage). 

To THEMSELVES means that I backup the NAS to the tape ? or locally on the disk ?

Thanks

CraigV

1. You'd run a B2D to a local disk, then duplicate to another site or tape.

2. No, no licenses are therefore required as you only have 1 drive per library.

3. Not sure on that Dell device as I can't find anything on it. Is the model code correct?

4. You'd back up to disk first on each site, and if you want a copy of Site A's data on Site B and vice versa, then duplicate that data across your WAN. If you wanted it onto tape as well, you'd need to duplicate to tape...don't backup the *.bkf files as it messes up catalogs etc.

EgyHawk
Level 3

Hi Craig

Thanks again for your help,the servers are in the way,so wer are waiting.

Now I have some question :

Is it better to use CASO or remote agent for windows servers to backup backup each NAS over WAN ?

For remote agent option I need only two licenses for each NAS,RIGHT ?

I have some shared folders on each NAS Server,I'm going to full weekly backups and daily incremental,

Can I have a policy or there is an option for retention ? I mean every week the old full backup and the incrementals are removed and a new full backup is created ???

What is the sequence of jobs ? I have now the following :

Full backup on each NAS Server on Friday(to local disk)

Incremental Backubs Everyday(to local disk)

Remote Full backup for each remote NAS (to disk)

Remote Incremental Backups (to disk)

All the above Backups would be replicated to local TAPE DRIVE :((((

I feel it's complicated , If anyone have a better strategy I hope you will share it.

Regards