The server sees the autoloader just fine. BackupExec saw the autoloader but would not load any tapes even though there was one tape in the drive. It saw all the slots but wouldn't access the tapes when told to do an inventory.
I rebooted the Autoloader and then in the device section in backup exec it went to off line. I could not get the device back online, rebooted the server and everything still no luck. I then removed the device from BackupExec and now it shows only as a stand alone device and still won't work.
Have the licenses installed for the autoloader as well.
First thing I would suggest doing is unloading the tape that is currently in the drive. You should not have to manually put a tape into the drive, when you run an inventory command it should pull tapes from the library to put into the drive.
Does it show the library and the drive, just in seperate places? Or does it just show the drive? If it is the first, then you need to run the device configuration wizard to move the drive into the library. (Tools - Wizards - Device Configuration Wizard)
In the beginning when I started to try to get the system to work with the autoloader the system device section under backupexec did show the tape drive under the robotic libraries. Under there it had ibm1 and ibm2 drives listed. If you clicked ibm1 it showed me the slots and the tapes on the device. When you would tell the system to do a backup it wouldn’t load the tape or even do an inventory of the tapes. However because I thought by deleting the device it would “reinstall” it in the device manager under backup exec and bring it back “online” that would maybe get it working. But of course now it only shows under the standalone as ibm 2 with no slots or tapes.
Ran the program gain and uploaded the new file to the ftp. Is there something I can do on this end for the system to see the device as an autoloader instead of a standalone while you are looking at the log files.
Well right now, the SCSI logs do not even show the library getting initialized so I'm wondering if Windows even sees the Library. Go to Device Manager and look for Medium Changers. The library will be listed under that if Windows is detecting the library. If it is not listed you will need to contact your hardware vendor to find out why Windows is not detecting the library.
Regardless of how the device is connected the server, my previous question still stands. Does device manager list the library? When in device manager you should see a listing for "Medium Changers" and the library will be listed in here.
Well that tells me that your OS is not seeing the library either. With that being said, that tells me the problem is not with Backup Exec. You will need to contact your hardware vendor to find out why the OS does not see the library. Once the OS shows the library Backup Exec will see the library as well.
Update: Here is the solution that Dell gave me and the autoloader now works and is seen by both server and Symantec.
a) Set the autoloader to random mode instead of sequential. b) Reboot the device. c) When the autoloader is up and running restart the server (upload restart the device should now be listed under the medium changers section in device manager. d) On the server run the BeUtility in the Symantec directory, select the option to repair the database. e) Under computer management on the server go to Storage->Removable Storage and expand that group. a) Remove any devices that have a red X on them. f) Under services stop and disable the removable storage service. g) Restart the services for Symantec Backup Exec. h) Open backup exec and the autoloader should now be listed under the devices tab. i) *If you have cleaning tapes install in the autoloader they recommend creating a partition for them and your data tapes. j) Doing an inventory of the device should work fine now. k) Restart the server.