Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Designing Backup Strategy

wajidgates
Not applicable

Hi All,

Good Day,

Currently we are using Backup Exec 2012. We are facing major issues with the backup window as we are backing up 6 TB of data every weekend. I am trying to revamp my backup strategy so that i can finish my backups in the avaiable window of 40hours and i can also send my backup tapes to a remote location.

Please provide your suggestion to fine tune my policy. My current policy is as follows:

Server

Weekly

Daily

Type

Size

Time

Type

Size

Time

File Server

Full

3.6 TB

25 Hours

Incremental

50 GB Approx.

2 Hours

Domain Controller

Full

120 GB

1 Hour

Incremental

20 GB Approx.

30 Minutes

Exchange Mailbox

Full

1.3 TB

10 Hours

Incremental

20 GB Approx.

1.5 Hours

Exchange HUB & CAS

Full

80 GB

1 Hour

Incremental

30 GB Approx.

30 Minutes

ERP Application

Nil

NA

NA

Nil

NA

NA

ERP Database

Full

100 GB

3 Hours

Full

100 GB

3 Hours

Primavera Application

Nil

NA

NA

Nil

NA

NA

Primavera Database

Full

120 GB

1 Hour

Differential

60 GB

1 Hour

Total

--

5.2 TB

41 Hours

--

220 GB

9 Hours

we have alos purchased an NL-SAS based iSCSI storage of 10TB capacity and currently using Tape Library with 15 slots with one tape drive.

I tried to use Backup to the new disk based storage and maximum data rate that i am getting is less than i am getting on the tape. Please provide your suggestion to:

1. Complete the backups in the 40hours time frame after adding in the new servers the total size of full backups will be 8TB.
  2. Create a dupicate of the full backup sets and send the tapes to the remote location.
  3. I want to keep one copy of the data sent to the remote location inhouse for urgent file restores.

Also please suggest any reference articles that i can use to develop an effective backup strategy with least amount of RTO and RPO.

Thank You

Regards

Abdul Wajid

1 REPLY 1

LegAEI
Level 5

What are your transfer rates? It appears you are limited by bandwidth.

Are you running Backup Exec off your data server?

Have you confirmed the full 6Gb/s bandwidth on your SAS iSCSI target?