cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desin considerations and advise necessity from best practics

Tirelibirefe
Level 4

Hello Folks;

I've read many articles about synthetic backup, intreamental backupl and source/target deduplication and now I am not be able decide how to implement easiest backups strategies... I'm totally confused. I need to your advises. Here is my environment and puposes;

I have file servers in several company locations(Loc-A, Loc-B, Loc-C, Loc-D, Loc-E, ...).  All company locations are connected to each others with about 30 Mbit/s bandwidth capacity. Each file server has about 300-800GB file server data. My BE Administration  Server is installed on a phsycial server and it has a backup storage and tape library. Backup storage and library both have enough capatiy.I must backup all these file servers to the backup storage systems in Loc-A. Also Loc-A has a file server too.

1-What is the most suitable backup strategy to backup the file server in Loc-A to the local disk based backup by using local backup server?
    a)Once full backup in a week, then incremantal and deduplicated (deduplicated at source) backups other days and synthesizing once (or everyday) in a week? The period is repeated inn every week or in every 2 weeks. What must be my tape library usage strategy?
    b)Everyday full deduplicated backups, the last 10 backups are stored in disk storage. What must be my tape library usage strategy?
    c)...or something else?

2-What is the most suitable backup strategy to backup the file servers in Loc-B/C/D/E... to the remote disk based backup by using local backup server?
    a)Once full backup, then daily deduplicated at source incremental backups to the remote location, then synthesizing  everyday or weekly on backup storage? What must be my tape library usage strategy?
    b)Daily deduplicated at source full backups to the remote location? What must be my tape library usage strategy?
    c)...or something else?

I need to your advises guys...

Regards

Tirelibirefe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I hope you understand that media server is a server which you load a full copy of BE.

You cannot do synthetic backup if you are backing up to a dedup folder

As you can see by this exchange that nobody on this forum can give you any meaningful advice because there are so much missing information and nobody knows your environment.  If you cannot come up with a backup strategy yourself, then you might want to contact Symantec/reseller and get somebody to come in, take a look at your environment and give you some advice.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Where is the media server located? You cannot do synthetic backups with tape backups and dedup backups

Tirelibirefe
Level 4

Each location is going to have a Media server.

Tape matter is ok, I can understand, I don't need to deduplicate or synthesize on tape. I can duplicate synthesized full backup(s) to the tape as weekly or monthly basis.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I hope you understand that media server is a server which you load a full copy of BE.

You cannot do synthetic backup if you are backing up to a dedup folder

As you can see by this exchange that nobody on this forum can give you any meaningful advice because there are so much missing information and nobody knows your environment.  If you cannot come up with a backup strategy yourself, then you might want to contact Symantec/reseller and get somebody to come in, take a look at your environment and give you some advice.