cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine Backup Exec Remote Agent Versions?

mitch_sprague
Level 4

I see that there is a method to find the versions of Backup Exec Remote Agent by going on each server and looking at the properties pages or opening up the servers on the media server and looking at the properties.  Is there any method to determine the versions on large numbers of servers by checking file properties or registry entries or something that can be scripted?  I haven't been able to find anything in the forums but I'm hoping someone has come up with a process.  Anyone?  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

I_T_Guy
Level 4

There is no such script as far as I know. However you can check the version of remote agent  by going in the backup selection list and right click on each server and go to properties, it will show you the current version of remote agent on that server.

Hope this will atleast make your life easier as by using this way, you will not have to log on to each server manually and check.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

There are only 2 ways of checking the version of the remote agent, which you have already mentioned 

in your post. If the remote agent version is not the same as of the media server then you will get an

exceptions in the job log indicating mismatch in the version.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try to push out the remote agent to all your remote servers.  The list of remote servers will show whether the remote agent on that server needs to be upgraded.  If it does not need the upgrade, then the remote agent is up-to-date and is the same version as the remote agent agent on the media server itself.  You can then go the BE installation directory, right-click on beremote.exe and get its version which is the same as the beremote.exe on your remote servers.

mitch_sprague
Level 4

Ok, how does this sound?  I've done a bunch of research and found that there are two ways to confirm the version of the agent installed.  There is a very detailed log file, called RAWSINST.htm,  found here: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs.  It's got loads of info.  To confirm that AOFO has been installed look for VSPAPI.dll and VSP.sys which are installed as part of the process.