cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine which encryption key was used for a backup.

cyber_saiyan
Level 3

Recently I discovered that our monthly backup has been using the wrong encryption key.  I still have the pass-phrase for the key that was used, so I can recover the data, but now I am wondering how many other month end backups were ran under the wrong key.

Is there any way to determine which key was used for a backup?  I have searched the job logs (the logs on the server and the ones that were emailed to me), but I cannot find out which key was used.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't think there is a way to find out which key is used.  The only way that I know of is to delete the key and then try to restore from an encrypted backup.  If the deleted key is used to encrypt the backup, then you would be prompted for the passphrase.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't think there is a way to find out which key is used.  The only way that I know of is to delete the key and then try to restore from an encrypted backup.  If the deleted key is used to encrypt the backup, then you would be prompted for the passphrase.

can you tell me which key combination used for encryption a data because i want to decrypt data manually but the key i used was not give correct data.

RogRubin
Employee

What do you mean with - I want to decrypt the data manually?
The point of any encryption key is that no 3rd party can access your data so can you expand a bit more on your query, thanks.