cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Driver Installer for BackupExec 9.0

David_Chambers
Not applicable

I have a Windows 2000 server with Backup Exec 9.0 (fully patched except for driver updates) to which I am adding a Quantum LTO2 drive (supported by this version). Drive shows up in Device Manager and BE but generates an error when BE tries to use it. I researched and found that all I require is the latest DDI which was linked to in the tech document. All other patches/components are available (even an agent for Win98????????) except the one I need, the Device Driver Installer! This is my luck. I have contacted 2 separate entities at Symantec (Customer Service & Tech Support) and found that all the 9.0 files were deleted in 2007 (we won't go into the fact that all but the one I needed was still there!). So I am here to plead with the group to see if someone might by chance have the afore mentioned file kicking around. We are a very poor Non-Profit community service and cannot afford an upgrade to the backup software as well as hardware. Besides the version I have supports this tape drive with the correct Veritas driver. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi there - it is true that the DDI Updates for 9.0 are not publicly available - however I did a bit of digging and found that they are still available internally - although not that easy to find.

I have placed the last two that I am aware of on an FTP site for you and will send you a private message with the link details. Please let me know when you have retrieved the files in question so that I can remove them from the FTP.

Please note: not only is BackuP Exec 9.0 no longer supported, but it was unfortunately not the most stable release of Backup Exec which resulted in it being replaced very quickly by the 9.1 version.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

To add to Colin's response, v9.1 was a free upgrade from v9.0 (your serials will work with it), and the last SP was VERY stable (one of the best since I have been using BE at - v6.1)  Something else to think about - both v9.0 and v9.1 are end-of-life and neither support XP or W2K3  as a media server (v9.1 RAWS will support XP)

Go to the downloads page at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047 and filter for "v9.1" and "Install".  The single file install is gone, but the spilt download is still available as well as SP4 (from "patch") Unfortunately, the driver packs have all been removed (v9.1 has after all been end of life for several years,) perhaps If you do decide to upgrade  (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), Colin could post those for you also