cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Error. The drive hardware is offline!

NGV_IT
Level 3
G,day !

Having some problems with Backup Exec ver. 10.1d for windows server.
Is been happening for couple weeks and I run out options how to fix this.

Here is problem:

Backup jobs failing with alert "Device Error. The drive hardware is offline!"
In windows server application events logs getting following errors:

Type: Error
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Event Time: 3/11/2005 9:31:03 PM
User: n/a
Computer: IDEA
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module msvcr71.dll, version 7.10.3052.4, fault address 0x00010428.

-----------------------------------

Type: Information
Source: DrWatson
Event ID: 4097
Event Time: 3/11/2005 9:31:04 PM
Description:
The application, D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 11/03/2005 @ 21:31:04.041 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C350428 (MSVCR71!wcscpy)

----------------------------------

What been done up to this point.

- I have upgraded dell libraries PE 122T and 132T firmware's up to date.
- Change SCSI ID for tape drive highest I can.
- change scsi cables
- change scsi card
- change server hardware with new OS and backupexec install
- windows 2003 server has sp1 and got latest updates
- installed latest mdac 2.8 version

any ideas how ti fix this ?

Just a update.

I reinstall mdac again and this time getting new errors.

Type: Error
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Event Time: 6/11/2005 8:06:54 PM
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0003248b.
---------------------------------------
Type: Information
Source: DrWatson
Event ID: 4097
Event Time: 6/11/2005 8:06:55 PM
Description:
The application, D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe, generated an application error
The error occurred on 11/06/2005 @ 20:06:55.238
The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C83248B (ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSectionAndSpinCount)
26 REPLIES 26

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since the device is being seen as offline please delete the device and re-create it with the following steps:

1.Open Backup Exec click on the devices tab Right-click the device that you are using, and click Properties
2.Click the Configuration tab, clear the Enable for Backup Exec checkbox, and click OK. The device will be disabled now.
3. Right-click the device, and click Delete

4. Now Power off the device and shut down the server
5. Next power on the device wait for it to initialize and then reboot the server and recycle the Backup Exec services again.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

NGV_IT
Level 3
Didn't help !
This morning got failed backup jobs again with this error;

Type:Error
Source:Application Error
Event ID:1000
Event Time:9/11/2005 8:27:35 PM
User:n/a
Computer:IDEA
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module msvcr71.dll, version 7.10.3052.4, fault address 0x00010428.

any more ideas how to fix this ?

NGV_IT
Level 3
Just a correction to my problem.
Devices is online they go offline in a middle of backup job.
Bengine service stops and Backup exec gives alert hardware offline.
Maybe this will helps,

Joseph_Schein
Level 3
I am having the same issue. No rhyme or reasoning, but during backup jobs the error message comes up and sure enough, the device is offline.

I removed the veritas drivers and updated the tape drive with Dell's Powervault 120 autoloader drivers and it worked fine one day, then the next and following days comes up with device is offline.

Looking at the device column and sure enough, it says "offline" I can enable from there, but when the job runs again, it either works or makes the device go offline. Is this an issue with the 10d version?

Veritas: 10d all service packs applied
Drive: PV-120 Autoloader

richard_watkins
Level 3
suggest you contact dell & microsoft

this could be a scsi timeout issue

also check the tapedrive firmware is the latest

if it goes offline then go to device mgr and right click and scan for hardware changes

restart all backup services

will come back online

you need to do this if you upgrade the firmware

deleting the drive in BE could cause hassles with media sets etc

NGV_IT
Level 3
I got 2 libraries Dell PV132T and PV120 both has latest firmwares om drives and RMU.
This only start happens when we moved to version 10.
I will be moving back to old version 9.1 next week just see if it's makes difference.

Joseph_Schein
Level 3
As good network engineers go, I can say the firmware and drivers are completely up to date on my autoloader system.

Please do not give myself, nor other people blanket answers that do not help resolve the issue. It's like the guy calling tech support because something stopped working and then he tells them to reboot the pc and that will probably fix it. . .

This is not a reboot and walk away issue. All was fine with 9.1, but upgraded to the 10d for faster speed and reliability of tape. It is not looking like I got that at the moment.

9.1 backups were fine with the occasional corrupt tape ... that happens.

Now, with 10d, the backup can be 5gb into it or 540gb into it and the tape drive will go offline.

I have used both the Veritas provided drivers and Dells drivers for windows and neither have any affect whether good or bad.

Is a technician going to respond to this thread? Myself and NGV are having a duplicate issue, different systems which I find as a commonallity and am sure others are having this.

Randy_Whitten
Level 2
Same problem here as well. All firmware is up to date on the PV122T, which is mounted on the Dell 770N.

Awaiting call back in the queue with support at the moment to see if there are other updates or options for us. Even downgrading to version 9 would be fine, so long as downgrading is an option.

Randy_Whitten
Level 2
I spoke with the Vertias tech last night, providing him with the array of issues. As of right now, the catalog is corrupted, so we're rebuilding that. I'm still experiencing the device going offline and the bengine shutting down.

Chris_Gesicki
Level 2
I've been getting the same problem as well. We have a DELL PV132T with 2 LTO2 drives. Everything up to the latest firmware, driver..etc We consistently get to 60GB backed up and then the error occurs. "The drive hardware is offline! Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled" Please help

Joseph_Schein
Level 3
Same here... basically, everything was fine with v9 of Veritas, but upgraded to the 10.0 version and now the system continuously goes offline.

When either of yours goes offline, is it backing up a sql database by chance?

It seems that every time a sql database is connected for backup, the job fails and that is where mine goes offline. Just shooting from the hip and trying to figure out a commonality besides the software not working properly.

Geoff_Dyment
Level 2
I just registered to say that I just started getting this error 3 days ago - exactly the same time I configured the SQL server instance backup. So the guess above seems to be likely as I've been using 10 for a few months with no issues.

Geoff

Chris_Gesicki
Level 2
NO we aren't backing up SQL databases. The backup job in question is a file and print server; docs. spreadsheets..etc I figured out that the error kept happening when trying to backup a corrupted file because according to the logs it kept failing at the same point. As I am writing this the backup is running right now successfully. Its a fairly large job about 800GB We've past the 60GB mark where it kept failing. Waiting to see if the job will succeed. I will let you know.

Geoff_Dyment
Level 2
Scratch my previous reply - I disabled the SQL dbase backup and I still got the exact same error only 3 gigs into my backup. Perhaps a MS patch in the last few days has triggered this somehow?

Geoff

Cyd_Becker
Level 2
I am having the very same issue as all the posts above, but this time, with (2) PowerVault 136T libraries with LTO2 tape drives.

I am running Windows 2003 with all the latest services packs, and all the hardware is updated to current firmware/bios revisions.

Does anyone else think this could this be a possible issue with the pre-packaged Veritas drivers for the LTO2 drives? It's interesting to see a single common thread in all of these posts: Dell PowerVaults.

I've received the same exact error as everyone else for the past four nights in a row. Before that, it was intermittent. As with everyone else, too, this didn't start until we implemented BE 10.x (currently at Build 5520). I've downloaded the latest drivers from Veritas and this hasn't solved anything.

Regardless, this is getting extremely frustrating and requests to look to Microsoft and Dell for answers isn't helping when this appears to be fairly consistent with BE 10.x. Too, every time BE stalls and restarts (I have it set to restart the services after the first and second failure), the jobs requeue and overwrite the media (though they're set to append). When you're running over 100 jobs a night, this isn't good behavior though for the life of me, I can't figure out how to stop this from happening....

Help would be good!!!

fred_egevrv
Not applicable
Same here,
but no tapes, just backup-to-disk.

bengine.exe fails, then "hardware is offline" which is obviously nonsense with a working disk array.

We're backing up a remote server. Occurs only with a mailserver partition with 200.000 small files. Some of them might be corrupt sometimes because of av-scan intervention.

But this should be no reason for crashing the media server!?!?

NGV_IT
Level 3
For couple day's BackupExec been running happy but this morning same story. In a midlle of job when to "Communications Stalled !" after that hardware offline and bengine crashed, "The job was canceled by user Recovery".

Here is a eventlogs:

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Application Error
Event Category:(100)
Event ID:1000
Date:21/11/2005
Time:7:56:41 AM
User:N/A
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.1830, fault address 0x0002faf7.

Event Type:Information
Event Source:DrWatson
Event Category:None
Event ID:4097
Date:21/11/2005
Time:7:56:41 AM
User:N/A
Description:
The application, D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 11/21/2005 @ 07:56:41.710 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C82FAF7 (ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap)

Yes is same us you all PowerVault 120 with LTO2 drive and PowerVault 136T with 2 Lto-2 drives.

Veritas company has very strange support agreement, you pay money and post problems in forum to wait for resolution but at the end get some instructions which is not releated to the problem at all.
This problem here been for 2 weeks without help at all.

Joseph_Schein
Level 3
Is there any Veritas / Symantec people reading this thread? There is a lack of response on here for such a serious issue.

Cyd_Becker
Level 2
Bumping this. I actually did every single thing that I've found in these forums - delete and all the catalogs to recreate, disallow the WBEM folder from backing up, and reloaded tape drivers. Nope - nothing. Same error.

This is getting ridiculous. Seriously considering moving to another backup platform that actually is enterprise ready.