cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Paused

jb61264
Level 3
I just recently started using Veritas Backup Exec that has been installed here at work but was not being used. I have a Dell PVT132T tape backup system and worked with their tech support to get everything working as it should be (drivers installed, Backup Exec recognizing the drives, etc.)...everytime I try to run a simple backup job I have created, it runs for about a minute and then in the Job Monitor window, I get a message that says "Device Paused" under Job Status.

The Dell PV132T has 23 magazine slots and all have a tape in them. I have created three partitions that list as such in devices window:

DELL 1 [0001..0010]
DELL 1 [0011..0020]
DELL 1 [0021..0023]

When I click on each of the partitions, it displays the correct media in each slot for that partition (all are scratch media, overwriteable, not appendable). When I try to do a quick erase on the tape in Slot 1...it gives me an error as well which I am posting below:

Erase Library 0024 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

What can be causing me to get these "Device Paused" messages? When I manually go to my Dell PV132T and move a tape using the 132T interface, I can do this with no problem (ie..move a tape to the import/export slot...then move it back)

Does it have to do with the media being "scratch" media?...do the tapes need to be formatted in some way before I can run any backups with them?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You should check that your tape drive is support by your version of BE

2) If it is, then install the Symantec drivers for the device.  Go to Tools --> Wizards --> Device Configuration Wizard to install the drivers.

If this answer solves your problem, please mark it as the solution

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You should check that your tape drive is support by your version of BE

2) If it is, then install the Symantec drivers for the device.  Go to Tools --> Wizards --> Device Configuration Wizard to install the drivers.

If this answer solves your problem, please mark it as the solution

jb61264
Level 3
I thought for sure I had the Symantec (Veritas) drivers installed but went ahead anyway and ran the wizard you suggested, rebooted my server, and restarted my backup job....20 minutes into the backup so far and there has not been a switch of Job Status to "Device Paused" so it looks like this may have been the solution. Usually, when I would run this job...after 2-3 minutes the Job Status would switch to "Device Paused"

jb61264
Level 3
Backup has been running for 2 1/2 hours now (25% complete) so I think it is safe to say that this was the correct solution above