cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device cannot see media

Paul_S1
Level 2
I have recently completed a fresh install of BE11d, as the 2003 server needed and OS install.
I am using a Dell Poweredge 2600 with a Dell Poweredge 100T DDS-4 Tape drive. This setup had been working well for many months.
However, in BE the drive is unable to see any inserted media. I have run an xTalk management (from Dell) console test on the drive and it works perfectly. The  Firmware is 912L (The latest) and it is using the Symantic drivers installed from BE when using the Device Cionfiguration Wizard. I have also tried other previously used tapes.
Please can someone advise me on this or point me in the right direction.
5 REPLIES 5

chicojrman
Level 6
Sounds like you've got barcode rules turned on. Barcode rules are for libraries that have mixed drives, a dual drive library with an LTO1 and an LTO3 in it for example normally this should be off, if you turn it on you have to tell BE what type of tape label belong to which drive.

Paul_S1
Level 2

I have looked at the Barcode section in Tools\Options|Settings. There are a range of rules listed there, none of which I have created. The media that I use DDS-150 is not listed there and I am only using a single tape drive.

Do I actually need any rules in this section at all? should I just delete them?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
bar code rules have no affect on stand-alone tape drives, since they don't have bar code readers.

Can you clarify "in BE the drive is unable to see any inserted media"?  What happens when you run an inventory job?

Paul_S1
Level 2
If I look at the tape drive in the Devices tab, in the Media section of the pane there is 'None' under the Media label column. In the Media tab under Online Media there is also 'None' under the Media label column. There is no Media in any of the Media Sets. I simply cannot see any Media anywhere. I presumed that running Inventory on the selected Tape Drive would discover any inserted Media.

When I run an inventory job with a tape in the drive it never completes. I actually ran one overnight and it did not complete. I cancelled it and in the job log it said:

Set type : InventorySet status : CompletedSet description :
Media label : Media side : 0Barcode : Family ID : 0Family sequence number : 0
Slot number : 0Slot count : 1
Encryption key : No
Error : e000810f - User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

Agent used : NoAdvanced Open File Option used : NoImage used : No

If I run a test job I get this error:
Media CheckOnline media check : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate.Media check status : Failed

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
Strange that the inventory job didn't complete.  This should normally take 3 minutes or less.
Try using the tracer.exe utility to see what the drive is reporting.  Have you tried multiple media?  And this is the right media for this drive?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285630.htm

Since you have no media at all in the BE database, it is not surprising that the test backup failed, so don't worry about backups until you can get inventory working.