cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device error 1117

IT_SAIPEM_FRIEN
Level 3
We found several problems on all jobs... backups, restore, inventory and so on.

We are working on win2k3 servers with ultrium 3 scsi drives

Jobs start very slowly and fail after hours without any error log... they are just failed.

We found only this error (under the windows logs):

Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 01, new handle 630, error 0
An unknown error occurred on device "HP 1".
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 1a, new handle 6a8, error 1117
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 34, new handle 6a8, error 1117
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 10, 2 total errors
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 10, new handle 6a8, error 1117
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:04:00 - Retry Logic: Retry logic was engaged on device: HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI 
Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 04:00:04:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 0a, 1 total errors

We changed the HBA and the tape drive but the problem is not solved.
The server was reinstalled in the meantime, the BE software reinstalled as well and upgraded... same for drivers.

No way to find out how to solve the problem.

I see other topisc about similar errors in this forum, all without real solution.

Could someone help us about this issue?

THanks and regards.
8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Have you downloaded HP Library & Tape Tools and run it against your drive?
Is your Removable Storage Service stopped and disabled?

Thanks!

IT_SAIPEM_FRIEN
Level 3
I'm playng now with the tools you mentioned but with no result... i will continue till all possible test are done.
About the removable storage service is stopped and in manual mode, as usual with all library we manage.

i'm testing again various type of jobs and seems now that only backups and restore gives the problem, so just when reading/writing a cartridge, erase jobs also runs.

It should be, maybe, a problem with the tapes? all tapes were used before, but all were scratched to start with this new server intsallation.

Please, think about a possible solution till i continue all possible tests... i have an operative site with almost 1,6 TB file server that is without backups till few weeks... :( all time for HP hardware change were lost withot any result.

Thanks very mutch for your attention.

So, i tryed to format a tape and run a backup on it... started at 190 mb/min, then slowed gradually in few minutes to 3 mb/minute.
After other few minutes the job fails.

So meybe i we can exclude a tape rpoblme also.

CraigV
I think it is a tape drive problem. I have had that before.
Is your tape drive connected to its own SCSI card, and not to the same card that the HDDs are connected too?
Are you using the Symantec drivers? If so, have you downloaded the latest drivers and installed them, and is your tape drive's firmware up to date?
the fact that you can inventory the tapes means it isn't a tape prolem...

IT_SAIPEM_FRIEN
Level 3
yes... the tape drive is new, as per the dedicated Host Bus Adapter scsi card (all 2 changed by HP)

The software is new installed, with all updates and drivers (Symantec drivers).
Firmware were updated also.

CraigV
OK...then are these local/remote server backups? If remote, what speed network do you have? Has this always happened, or has it only started in the last couple of days/weeks?

IT_SAIPEM_FRIEN
Level 3
local and remote, with a full lan connection

The problem started few weeks ago

CraigV
Hi,

Give these a read too...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305502.htm
 (not sure if this is the issue, but it refers to this doc)...