cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in Backup Times

Gerard_Ward
Not applicable
I have multiple servers onsite all backing up to a central Backup Exec Server. Some of the backup Jobs are 45GB and take approx 45-50 minutes to backup, however some of the other jobs are only 15GB and are taking over 2 hours to backup.

Could anyone shed any light as to why this is happening and how we can get the backup times down.

many thanks
Gerard
2 REPLIES 2

Ryland_Deakin
Level 3
Backup times will vary with both the amount of data you back and the amount of files you backup. Like you could backup 1 big 5GB file loads fast than 20000 files totalling 5GB, so this will make a difference for you. Also backing up certain types of data can take long than other types even if the size is the same. Depending how your backup device is connected to the servers can also make a difference as having it directly connected to a server will most like be faster for that 1 server but then slower for other machines using the network to get to backup device. You could also check the network speed the various servers are using and get them all upto 1GB speed to ensure a decent data transfer speed.

The other option is to do incremental backups maybe during the week and do the full backups on the weekend or something like that, which should speed the backups up alot :)

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Remember that if you are doing Exchange mailbox backups, they will always be much much slower than other types of backup.

If you have the luxury of additional NICs in your backup server and target server, and the switching infrastructure you need, you can create a separate backup network, in a different address range. I have this for some of my 'high volume' servers, and then fall back to the regular internal LAN for other lower use servers.