cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in backup mb per min

rudylee
Level 3

I would like an advise why there is a big difference in backup job in file transfer rate,

I have cut and paste from SBE 2010 Job History and paste it to excel for reference for all to see why so big difference.

Name Device Name Created On Job Type Job Status Percent Complete Start Time End Time Elapsed Time Byte Count Job Rate
Backup SGFILESVR IBM 0001 Managed Media Server Backup Successful 100% 02-09-11 18:00 03-09-11 9:09 15:09:22 1,892,361,950,111 1,997.00 MB/min
BackupJI_ServerFull IBM 0001 Managed Media Server Backup Successful 100% 26-08-11 18:10 30-08-11 2:51 80:41:40 1,397,590,449,130 274.00 MB/min

Can anyone provide me the info why the 1.8TB job rate is 1997mb/min between 1.3TB is 274mb/min,. That is weird and I am still investigating the issue and there is no answer to my knowledge.

I hope any expert out there able to present me with solid advise and with the right information so I can investigate the issue properly. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rudylee
Level 3

Thanks I have found the issue as I have investigate the underlying problem. I have it resolved. Thanks for your advise but your case doesn't apply but I found out that if backing up data through a network folder, it will take a longer time to backup than backing up on a server local drives.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What sort of data is being backed up? Lots of small files definitely affects the speed of backups, especially to tape. The streamer never has time to spin up to a constant speed.

If the job contains multiple servers, you might want to check and see if this is a specific server giving this issue. If so, then check and make sure an AV isn't actively scanning your BE services...

Also, factors like source backup (RAID, VM, physical server, network speed) and destination (as before) play a role in determining speed.

Check the TN below for a bit of extra background information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8326

Thanks!

rudylee
Level 3

Thanks I have found the issue as I have investigate the underlying problem. I have it resolved. Thanks for your advise but your case doesn't apply but I found out that if backing up data through a network folder, it will take a longer time to backup than backing up on a server local drives.