cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in media for Backup Exec for Windows 2010 and Backup Exec for SBS 2010

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

What is the difference in the media type between Backup Exec for Windows 2010 and Backup Exec for Small Business Server 2010?

The trialware i downloaded for both of these products is the same. There is no indication that it is Backup Exec for SBS.
Do i just install it like that on the SBS server as well?

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
There is no Difference w.r.t  the media..
There is difference w.r.t to licensing

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Just to eloborate more Essentially there is no difference in functionality at all. The only difference being the location of the Exchange and SQL server that you can backup. Backup Exec SBS License comes with an Exchange and Sql agent license built in which allows you to backup Exchange or SQL running on that server, but it does not allow you backup a remote Exchange or SQL  server. If you wish to do this you need to purchase a remote Exchange agent or SQL agent
Backup Exec standard edition is the full product, but does not come with any Exchange agents.
You would need license for each and every option.

Studio_Two
Level 4

Hmm.

SBS 2008 allows me to install SQL Server on a second (remote) copy 2008 Server. Technically, SBS 2008 is TWO Servers not one. Are you saying that the BE 2010 license does NOT allow me to fully backup my SBS 2008 if it is split across two Servers?

Many thanks,
Stephen

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks alot RahulG,

i really appreciate your response.

I would like to refer to Stephen's question, i know of a client who has the SQL on a different 2008 server. i would also like to know what the response to his question is.

At the moment i have installed the BE for SBS 2010 on the SBS 2008 on a hyper-V machine.

i have tested backup of data and this was successful

I am having an issue with backing up the Exchange server Information store. it gives me a notification that this is successful but with exceptions. This directs to install the ExchangeMAPI with CDO.

But when i try to install theExchangeMAPI with CDO i get an error that it cannot be installed with Outlook. i install ExchangeCDO alone and this is successful, yet i still get the error for the exchange information store backup exception

i have BEWS 12.5 running on another network and i installed Exchange management tools and the ExchangeMAPI with CDO on the media server when i got this same error on the BEWS 12.5. This was resolved.

i don't need to install Exchange management tools since the Exchange is on the same location as the media server on the SBS 2008.

It is really urgent i resolve this issue.

Thank you for yoour anticipated help.

Studio_Two
Level 4

In regards the "Second SQL Server", my understanding is that "BE 2010 for SBS" comes complete with the SQL Agent and the Remote Server Agent. I don't believe anything else is required to backup a remote SQL Server. That is the way things are on BE 12.0 (the version I currently have).

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "REMOTE SQL Server Agent".

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "REMOTE SQL Server Agent".

That is correct.  there is the SQL agent (Included with the SBS serial) which will backup SQL on the media server (where BackupExec is installed)  or on a remote server with the RAWS installed on it)

If you have only the one SQL server (the remote machine) then this is all you need (1 SBS Serial  +1  RAWS)

If there was also SQL on the media server, then you would need two SQL serials  to meet licensing requirements

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can insall MAPI CDO on the macine where you have outlook installed .and its is the limitation for MAPI cdo .. so the only thing what you can do is uninstall outlook and then install the mapi CDO as backup exec need MAPI CDO

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Please open a new forum discussion for the the exchange issue and mark this post as resolved incase if you questions have been answered

Studio_Two
Level 4

Many thanks Ken. That's how I saw things.

However, SBS 2008 (by default) puts a copy of SQL Express / Windows Internal Database onto the Main Server in order to run "WSUS" and "SBS Monitoring Services". So, I guess the BE 2010 License doesn't QUITE fully cover an SBS 2008 Installation when it split across two servers.

Stephen